Kolsch advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I brewed last night and pitched at about 11pm...no airlock activity at all...is this normal?
I recently brewed my first Kolsch using the Lallemand Koln yeast (CML is possibly a rebadged version of this?) It took 2.5 days to get going and I very nearly pitched something else in there myself, I'd say stick with it for a day or so longer 🤞

I've used CML kolsch loads of times, it always gets going and ferments out well.

Nothing like a kolsch direct from the barrel in one of the boozers in Cologne, been a couple of times, fruh was a favourite.

I've used CML kolsch loads of times, it always gets going and ferments out well.

Nothing like a kolsch direct from the barrel in one of the boozers in Cologne, been a couple of times, fruh was a favourite.
Yes, Früh Kölsch is one of my favourites as well. Followed closely by Sion and Päffgen. Some years ago I was lucky enough to spend 2 x 2 weeks (courtesy of my employer) in Köln at a language school. I made it my mission to try as many different Kölsch brands as I could find in the city. I took a souvenir beer mat from each, and collected ~24 in all . . . . . It was tough work, but somebody has to do it :beer1:

Anyway, back on topic . . . . . I recently brewed 19l of a Kölsch, described as a Früh clone, from a recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles" (Zainasheff & Palmer). I used the CML Kölsch yeast. I hydrated 2 packets in ~1/2l of preboiled water, and pitched that direct. It started fermenting within a few hours, and eventually fermented out to 1.007. However, it took a very long time (a total of 39 days!!!!). I started it at 15°C, but when it appeared to stall I increased to 20°C, and let it ferment out at that.
It's not been in the bottle very long, but I tried a bottle a couple of nights ago. It was a nice beer, although nothing like the real thing. A bit too fruity for a genuine Kölsch - this may have been because of the increased fermentation temperature. Anyway, I have decided that it needs more time, so I'll leave it 2 more weeks before sampling it again 🤞

Last edited:
I have used Wyeast 1007 and K-97 for kolsch a few times now and cant tell the difference. Both made really nice beers. they both took a long time to clear though. It was only when I started top cropping them, that i noticed that they were clearing much quicker. That’s the trick with these heavy top croppers, if you scoop the krausen off on about day 4 and then again on day 7, there’s not as much yeast in suspension to try to flocc out. Also if you put the yeast in a sanitised jar, you have enough nice clean yeast for your next batch.

Last edited:
Mine has just stopped...nothing for 2 days then went like a train for 24 hours now no airlock activity🤔

What temperature are you fermenting at. If the temperature is up and down, the rate of fermentation will speed up and slow down. Generally the yeast won’t like that. Take a sample and measure the SG to see if it has finished.

I’ve made a single kolsch a couple of years ago, and I thought it tasted tinny, if thats a thing, a bit like carlsberg so have avoided since.

However I’ve been sent white labs kolsch yeast by mistake, and seeing the love for the style here, might have another shot at it. I might make it my first fermented under pressure attempt.

Pilsner with a pinch of Munich with HM hops maybe.

I’ve made a single kolsch a couple of years ago, and I thought it tasted tinny, if thats a thing, a bit like carlsberg so have avoided since.

However I’ve been sent white labs kolsch yeast by mistake, and seeing the love for the style here, might have another shot at it. I might make it my first fermented under pressure attempt.

My recent attempt was based on the following:
Target volume - 19l
Crisp Pilsener - 4.67Kg
Crisp Vienna - 227g
Mash at 65°C
Hallertauer MF (4% AA) - 43g (~25 IBU)
Boil time - 90min
Yeast - CML Kölsch
OG achieved - 1.053
FG - 1.007
[NB - The odd weights are a direct conversion from an American recipe using lbs and oz]

As mentioned above it had only been in the bottle a short time so the first sample was a bit too fruity for a genuine Kölsch , so probably still a bit green, but it was certainly not tinny. I have high hopes for it 🤞
PS - The real thing served on draft in the correct glass in a Brauhaus in the old city centre is something to behold acheers.

So I did a check on my stalled kolsch. Opened fermenter...zero krausen and no evidence of any. Took a reading 1.020 so its not ready yet.

On closer inspection (sample and in the FV) there are bubbles of CO2 so why no airlock activity?

Put another pack of yeast in and in less than 5mins the airlock is flying again.
.whats going on?

Thanks

Definitely give it another go. It’s such a great beer to have for the summer.

Can’t go wrong with pilsner, some Munich or Vienna and Hallertau or tettnang.

PS - The real thing served on draft in the correct glass in a Brauhaus in the old city centre is something to behold
Yes! And they keep coming round and replacing your glass (stange) when it's empty. The two beer drinkers in our family had two drinks before the wine drinkers first one had turned up. Don't be put off by the grumpy old git who brings them over, it's traditional grumpiness, apparently...

Yes! And they keep coming round and replacing your glass (stange) when it's empty. The two beer drinkers in our family had two drinks before the wine drinkers first one had turned up. Don't be put off by the grumpy old git who brings them over, it's traditional grumpiness, apparently...
Its a fantastic atmosphere, and as far as I know this is something you experience in only one other city in Germany, i.e. Düsseldorf, where they serve the "Alt" in the same relentless unsmiling way. The only difference (apart from the beer itself) is the stubbier tumblers instead of the Stange. The place to aim for in the Altstadt is a brewhouse called "Zum Schlüssel". The beer and the atmosphere are both superb, and you can see the brewery behind large glass panels. Although on the numerous occasions I have been there I have never actually seen them brewing.

So just tested it...its dropped 2 points from 1.020 to 1.018 and is on day 6 of ferment...needs to get down to 1.010 at least really...I was a bit under on my OG so unless it gets to .010 its gonna be a 3% beer

So just tested it...its dropped 2 points from 1.020 to 1.018 and is on day 6 of ferment...needs to get down to 1.010 at least really...I was a bit under on my OG so unless it gets to .010 its gonna be a 3% beer
Don't panic (yet). I recently used the CML Kölsch yeast, and it took a very long time to ferment out (see my post from last Monday). I eventually got down to 1.007, but it took 39 days to get there !!!!! Not sure what was really going on, but it pays to be patient 🤞

Latest posts

Back