Kolsch yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackBeer66

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently made a wheat beer kit (most probably the last single can Wilkos wheat which was purchased a year ago and stored) and used Kolsch yeast by Crossmyloof. As always there was an explosion and a medium, foamy krausen.

I then saved the yeast cake, washed it and kept it in the fridge for just over a week.

Yesterday I put together a Coopers Draught and pitched the recycled yeast.

It started fermenting in less than 24h but the krausen is very small but solid... and it smells of sulphur (mrs complaining), which I have only experienced before with Nottingham yeast at cooler temps 15-16c. I am not worried as cooler temps give me a cleaner beer but just interesting how the strain might have changed.

20200508_130653.jpg

Sorry Clint. Blackbeer said he originally used it in a wheat beer so we were talking at cross purposes.

When I used the cml kolsch yeast, I fermented at low temps and it did smell a bit when fermenting. I can't remember how big the krausen was.

You may well have stressed the yeast. As long as it ferments out to full attenuation dont worry. The sulphur smell will eventually dissipate.

And blame the smell on the dog wink...

You may well have stressed the yeast. As long as it ferments out to full attenuation dont worry. The sulphur smell will eventually dissipate.

And blame the smell on the dog wink...

It's strange isn't it? I've found that if yeast is stressed at low temps, it takes longer to ferment and any off smells and flavours can condition out. If it's stressed due to high fermenting temps, the off tastes never seem to condition out. Must be to do with fusels etc.

It's strange isn't it? I've found that if yeast is stressed at low temps, it takes longer to ferment and any off smells and flavours can condition out. If it's stressed due to high fermenting temps, the off tastes never seem to condition out. Must be to do with fusels etc.

It may also have something to do with what exactly the off flavour is. Some condition out and some dont

Latest posts

Back