Kveik Voss Question / Brewing / Dry Hopping / Priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrydown

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope one of you fine folk can help me with A Kveik kvestion about Kveik Voss brewing and bottle conditioning / priming...

I'm fermenting a 25L Mosaic / Maris Otter / Extra Pale SMaSH ale with Kveik Voss at 33.5C. It has been fermenting hard for 5 days now. It slowed right down 2 days ago and I decided it was time to dry hop. When I came to do so the next day, I noticed some little fingers had opened the fridge/heater and turned it off and the temperature had dropped down to 25C. I dry-hopped and turned it back on, noticing the SG had already dropped to 1.012

The low SG isn't a total surprise as I only achieved an OG of 1.066 and was expecting 1.075 so something went wrong with efficiency somewhere or my temperatures were not as they seemed. I am not 100% sure.

Anyway, the beer is back to a bubble rate of 2 or 3 a minute and I expect that will grind to a halt later today. I hope so! I exected the Kviek to burn through the sugars in 2 days and am concerned that this long spell in Primary could spoil the ale? I'm guessing not as this kind of high-temperature fermentation and storage could presumably go on for more than a week in the old days? When I opened the fermenter to dry hop, it certainly smelled more funky than a finishing ale normally would, but at 33.5C I'm guessing it would!

Anyway, the main question is this:

When calculating the priming dose for bottling, should I calculate the priming dose based on 33.5C?

I know this sounds obvious, but the calculator figures seem to go a bit whacky at temperatures north of 35C. I'm starting to wonder if there are different rules for high-temperature fermentations?

The calculator I was using was this fellow and if you try figures over 35C you will see the priming rates drop again:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Could you offer any advice re: priming please and reassurance about the viability of the ale after being hot for 6 days by the time I think it will have finished? Wishing I'd held back on the dry hopping now.

Many thanks,

Jim

Personally I wouldn't dry hop at such a high temperature. I would of let it finish fermenting then drop the temp down to 19/20 and dry hop.
As for bottling calculation I had the same issues when I cold crashed for the first time. I played safe and calculated the amount need for 20 degrees. Normally anything from 85g up 120g depending on style and how well you like your beer carbonated.

Yeah I went for 143g of dextrose which isnt too far off the 120g sucrose I reckon.

I allowed 1 day hot dry hopping and the remaining 3 at room temperature and below. Then cold crashed.

I just finished bottling and the smell is absolutely amazing, though 4 days cold as 2.5C has done little to clear the beer!

I think it will be a goody, though I have been incautious with the hops. If it tastes grassy, I will know why.

Cheers for chiming in. Fwiw I wouldn't normally have dry hopped hot either. I was a bit of a headleas chicken with the kveik.

Back