Best for dry hopping?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Dyer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Punk IPAish kind of thing with Ahtanum, Chinook, Amarillo and Motueka all there at flame-out. I'd like to dry-hop to give it an extra fruity punch. Any recommendations? Expected SG will be about 1047. I have more of each of the above plus several more aromatics available too.

Ahtanum is very much the BrewDog flavour. If you want it to taste more like Punk, then Ahtanum in the dry hop. Personally I shove a load of Motueka in the dry hop.

CML sell a blend of hops to emulate punk, I've used it and enjoyed result

IMG_1784.png

I will add try the CML Punk Mix likes Clint and Bzee have said I have used it for years also I add to it for a twist.
Ps the Jaipur Mix is good also

So, I added 20g each of Chinnok and Cascade both in leaf fornm and in 'hop socks' to my 17L IPA brew. After 4 days I have removed them and I have to say the improvement to the taste of the young beer is amazing! It's my first go at dry hopping and I think I'll use it again - many of my brews have an overly bitter hoppy taste that I'd like to get rid of and perhaps this is the answer. May add late aroma hops after the wort has cooled a bit instead of directly after flame-out too.

You can even miss out bittering hops in some styles if you are doing a heavy hopping schedule like a whirlpool to reduce over bittering. My advice is subjective as some brewers like a well bittered beer so do what suits your palate

@MashBag thanks, yes I've been playing with bittering hops as well. Firstly I reduced them because I nearly always use pellets. Then I noticed that the alpha acid content quoted in the recipe rarely matches the percentage listed on the pack, so I now make adjustment for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back