Lager brewing issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig57

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
Can i ask the experts a few questions on home brewing lager. Firstly mine: Ive completed a Youngs Pilsner lager kit and followed the instructions down to the letter. I bottled the finished lager in shop bought sterilised 2 ltr coke bottles putting 6 carbonation drops in each bottle as per the packet instructions. The lager has cleared really well, but when i tried my first glass tonight the beer tasted ok ish, but went flat relatively straight away. Have i done something wrong in the process?
Secondly my son has done a Coopers European lager and his is 'active' with a great head on it but it tastes like fizzy water?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Good evening everyone.
Can i ask the experts a few questions on home brewing lager. Firstly mine: Ive completed a Youngs Pilsner lager kit and followed the instructions down to the letter. I bottled the finished lager in shop bought sterilised 2 ltr coke bottles putting 6 carbonation drops in each bottle as per the packet instructions. The lager has cleared really well, but when i tried my first glass tonight the beer tasted ok ish, but went flat relatively straight away. Have i done something wrong in the process?
Secondly my son has done a Coopers European lager and his is 'active' with a great head on it but it tastes like fizzy water?

Thanks in advance
Craig
How long between bottling and drinking? Done any cold.conditioning?

How long between bottling and drinking? Done any cold.conditioning?
The bottling was done 3 weeks after i started the process and the bottles have currently been in the outside garage for 8 days now and are fully clear. In total we are now in just over 4 weeks. I dont intend to open any more bottles but if theyre all flat then i cant see them improving?

The bottling was done 3 weeks after i started the process and the bottles have currently been in the outside garage for 8 days now and are fully clear. In total we are now in just over 4 weeks. I dont intend to open any more bottles but if theyre all flat then i cant see them improving?
Bring them into the house to condition warm for 2 weeks
That's why there is no fizz. Your carb drops havent fermented in the cold to create the CO2 you need. Bring them in till the bottles are hard then put them out in the garage.

Bring them into the house to condition warm for 2 weeks
That's why there is no fizz. Your carb drops havent fermented in the cold to create the CO2 you need. Bring them in till the bottles are hard then put them out in the garage.
Thanks for the advice, the bottles were hard when i moved them out to the garage? Are you saying i need to bring them back in again now? Also wont the yeast now be dead?
Sorry to be a pain Brewnaldo.

Thanks for the advice, the bottles were hard when i moved them out to the garage? Are you saying i need to bring them back in again now? Also wont the yeast now be dead?
Sorry to be a pain Brewnaldo.
I dont think they will be dead. It just doesnt sound like they had long enough to me, did you squeeze the air out of the bottles before you put the lid on? That helps to monitor carbing progress but 2 weeks has been plenty for me every time. I would bring them back in, unless anyone else has any thoughts

If you have kept your bottles in a place above about 16/17*C for about 2 weeks following priming and have used the correct amount of priming sugar (at least 2.5g per 500ml better 3.5g for your pilsner) your beer should now be fully carbonated. However 1.5 kg lager kits are not at the sharp end of homebrewing, especially if brewed with 1 kg of dextrose and brewed to 23 litres, so all I can suggest is to leave your bottles alone for another month or so in a cool place and conditioning may improve matters.
As far as your son's Coopers Euro lager is concerned I have does this kit and it produced an acceptable beer, But I left mine for about 3 months in conditioning as the instructions suggest and this may have had something to do with the end result.

If you have kept your bottles in a place above about 16/17*C for about 2 weeks following priming and have used the correct amount of priming sugar (at least 2.5g per 500ml better 3.5g for your pilsner) your beer should now be fully carbonated. However 1.5 kg lager kits are not at the sharp end of homebrewing, especially if brewed with 1 kg of dextrose and brewed to 23 litres, so all I can suggest is to leave your bottles alone for another month or so in a cool place and conditioning may improve matters.
As far as your son's Coopers Euro lager is concerned I have does this kit and it produced an acceptable beer, But I left mine for about 3 months in conditioning as the instructions suggest and this may have had something to do with the end result.
Many thanks for the great advice Terrym, very much appreciated.

As above. Bring them inside, swirl them up a bit to mix in any settled yeast and leave at c.20C for a couple of weeks (the yeast will be fine, it won't be dead). Then, chill in the fridge for a few days to re-absorb CO2 from the headspace before tasting again. 6 carbonation drops is enough so no reason for them not to carbonate. It will improve given time so if it tastes OK'ish after 4 weeks then should be a lot better after 8-12 weeks.

As above. Bring them inside, swirl them up a bit to mix in any settled yeast and leave at c.20C for a couple of weeks (the yeast will be fine, it won't be dead). Then, chill in the fridge for a few days to re-absorb CO2 from the headspace before tasting again. 6 carbonation drops is enough so no reason for them not to carbonate. It will improve given time so if it tastes OK'ish after 4 weeks then should be a lot better after 8-12 weeks.
Thanks DarrenSL

Many thanks for the great advice Terrym, very much appreciated.
So the real question for you is, based on what I and others have said, have you given your lager long enough in a warm enough place for it to fully carb up. If the answer is no, then you need to move bottles back in the warm (20*C is ideal) for a week or so, but if your garage is warm enough then 8 days above 19'C should be enough. I also use PET and know that even almost clear beer at bottling can be fully carbed up after 6/7 days at about 19/20*C.

So the real question for you is, based on what I and others have said, have you given your lager long enough in a warm enough place for it to fully carb up. If the answer is no, then you need to move bottles back in the warm (20*C is ideal) for a week or so, but if your garage is warm enough then 8 days above 19'C should be enough. I also use PET and know that even almost clear beer at bottling can be fully carbed up after 6/7 days at about 19/20*C.
I understand what your saying, and i thought i'd given the bottles enough time to carb up? Ive brought the bottles back in now but how will i know if theyre right this time around, as i thought they were ok this time?

Hopefully the carbing up will be ok for you.

I can only go by my own experience (and taste buds) with the Cooper's European Lager and I have found it excellent, and probably one of if not the best lagers in a single can IMHO.

I'm not sure how long it has been conditioning for, but I'd recommend leaving it for a good 6 weeks and I'm sure you'll notice an improvement. Either that or I like tasteless lager😁

I understand what your saying, and i thought i'd given the bottles enough time to carb up? Ive brought the bottles back in now but how will i know if theyre right this time around, as i thought they were ok this time?
If your bottles were hard to the touch then it is likely they are carbed up already. However bringing them into a warm place wont do any harm. If you want to make absolutely sure, leave them at 19*C minimum for at least 10 days better 14 days, although based on my experience they will be done earlier even from scratch. But to balance that the extra time in bottle will be of benefit.

Back