Lager with hops from Geterbrewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of making this Saturday's brewday a lager (though I've never brewed one from scratch before) and I'd like to use the hops from the Geterbrewed competition.

1) Which hops would suit this and in what quantity?

2) As I have no temp control I would probably put the FV in my outdoor box which will keep it out of the sunlight. It's getting pretty cold right now so I'm a little worried the yeast will just go to sleep.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I'd look at some of the german hops like saaz, hallertau varities and tettnanger. I think you don't (flavour/aroma) hop very highly either. If your using proper lager yeast you need twice as much as ale yeast. You may have a problem lagering outside as I think the fermentation temp need to be about 12C (the packet of the yeast will tell you the temp range )

You could also look at doing a pseudo lager if you've got a room in your home cold enough,about 15C but it can be higher. I'm doing one on sat - well actually a pseudo baltic porter (a porter which has been lagered)

Nice. I'm afraid I don't think I get Saaz/Hallertau in my hop bundle (unless I've just not read it right!) I like the idea of making a 'true' lager but I only have one sachet of Saflager, with which I was planning on making a starter.

I was thinking of doing something similar with my second batch although its going to be a pseudo lager I am happy with that

I was thinking of using these

Savinjski Goldings 2015 2.5%
This variety is known for its noble hop aroma and pleasant bitterness. Delicate, slightly spicy aroma. Use in English ale, Belgian ale, any lager or pilsner.

Styrian Bobek 2015 5.2%
Intense and pleasant with floral and hop overtones. Typical beer styles include; English style Ale, ESB, Lager, Pilsner.**

I'd look at some of the german hops like saaz, hallertau varities and tettnanger.
Those are traditional, but as the OP asked for hops from the Geterbrewed competition, I would suggest the Savinjski Goldings and the Styrian Bobek. Depending on what sort of lager you are looking to brew you could go from anything like a Helles at 22-25IBU up to a Czech pilsner at up to 40IBU. Any decent software like Beersmith will allow you to convert the alpha acid value of the hops and the desired IBU to quantities. I would use the Bobek to deliver the bittering and use it as First Wort Hops, and hit it with the Savinjski for aroma (say about 15-20g in your money).

I think you don't (flavour/aroma) hop very highly either.
While not typically added to industrial lagers, craft lager breweries do use quite a lot of hops for aroma.

FWIW I was going to go along the lines of a Greg Hughes recipe and just rehash it to these hops and the alpha %s. Don't mind if I get a little extra hoppy flavours, or IBUs though thats what its all about with these anyway in this comp

My Pilsner yeast ferments between 12-15c you could do a water bath with a aquarium heater. Set it to 16c and the fv will be around 14c. I have tried some experiments using water and it worked

https://youtu.be/KkbzueOS5-8

not sure if this will work..

id never done a "lager" then i got lager yeast....

split a pale ale ella/cascade....between 2 vessels...one as usual and one in shed early dec....was impressed by lavalamp impresssion considering temps..

its now bottled 330 ml bottles and shelved to see what happens...

had a sneaky taste...thin but bloody hell hoppy....meh was worth a try...

excuse music and cough.....

Choosing the right yeast for a lager is important depending on the style you're after and so is fermenting it at between at the correct temprature, between 12c and 9c. Then you have to lager it at around 2 or 3c for at least 4 weeks, even longer maybe. A brew fridge is not that expensive to make so maybe a good diy project?

When brewing lager I raise the temp in the FV from 9 to 15 over 3 days after around 2 weeks after pitching. Leave for between to 5 days to give the yeast a rest and then crash to 2c and leave it like that for 6 weeks at least. I leave the yeast in there too. No need to rack in my opinion, leave the yeast in there.

As Myqul mentioned, hellertau, tettnanger and saaz are good lager hops. Great bittering hops as the alpha acids are not that strong and you don't want a lager to taste bitter unless that's what you're after. I do however heavily hop my lagers or even dry hop them to resemble the taste explosion of an ipa.

I'd never tasted an IPA before I came on this group. I was a lager drinker doing the kits from boots or wlko's. Drinking the kit form was like coming home from the pub an realising you had no beer in the house so you had to drink it. Gives you the shudders lol. I think what I'm trying to say is from my beer, or my beer base/body, I like the lightness of the lager. Bubbly and rolls around your mouth like champagne.

I gotta thank clibit, manse, myquil just to mention a few for introducing me to the art. I wish all of you lived near me so you could try this lager dry hopped with pearle.

Happy days, cheers.

All very helpful, folks. Thanks. I think I'll probably do a different style of beer this weekend as I don't feel all that confident making a lager. I am worried it'll be too cold with the current cold snap we're having if I keep the beer in the shed to lager it (but, presumably, too hot once the thaw arrives.)

Possibly a black IPA?

All very helpful, folks. Thanks. I think I'll probably do a different style of beer this weekend as I don't feel all that confident making a lager. I am worried it'll be too cold with the current cold snap we're having if I keep the beer in the shed to lager it (but, presumably, too hot once the thaw arrives.)

Possibly a black IPA?

I think thats a wise choice, I personally wouldn't attempt a lager without proper temp control of some sort.

Possibly a black IPA?

For now yes and there are so many options for IPA

As for lager/ pseudo lager or kolsh, there are many options

You can get the kolsh yeast

https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=144

Or like me use something like US05, it would still technically be an ale but if you ferment it cool it will be clean crisp and you charge it accordingly.. I havent done this yet but planning on giving it a go.. If it turns out being a slightly blonde ale so be it,.. I think @SteveJ done a few of these though and he thinks it is good..

Choosing the right yeast for a lager is important depending on the style you're after and so is fermenting it at between at the correct temprature, between 12c and 9c. Then you have to lager it at around 2 or 3c for at least 4 weeks, even longer maybe. A brew fridge is not that expensive to make so maybe a good diy project?

When brewing lager I raise the temp in the FV from 9 to 15 over 3 days after around 2 weeks after pitching. Leave for between to 5 days to give the yeast a rest and then crash to 2c and leave it like that for 6 weeks at least. I leave the yeast in there too. No need to rack in my opinion, leave the yeast in there.

As Myqul mentioned, hellertau, tettnanger and saaz are good lager hops. Great bittering hops as the alpha acids are not that strong and you don't want a lager to taste bitter unless that's what you're after. I do however heavily hop my lagers or even dry hop them to resemble the taste explosion of an ipa.

I'd never tasted an IPA before I came on this group. I was a lager drinker doing the kits from boots or wlko's. Drinking the kit form was like coming home from the pub an realising you had no beer in the house so you had to drink it. Gives you the shudders lol. I think what I'm trying to say is from my beer, or my beer base/body, I like the lightness of the lager. Bubbly and rolls around your mouth like champagne.

I gotta thank clibit, manse, myquil just to mention a few for introducing me to the art. I wish all of you lived near me so you could try this lager dry hopped with pearle.

Happy days, cheers.

I dont think you're a million miles from me Glynb so will happily volunteer myself as a taster by proxy :thumb:

Am hoping to do a czech style pilsner next, however I have a lot of PA/IPA hops to use up first before I start buying lager hops as well!

Latest posts

Back