Lager yeast start temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a good few years since I brewed a lager, what temp do you start a lager yeast (10-15C ferment temp) at: the usual low ferment temp or is it OK to pitch higher say 18C and let it naturally drop?

I'm about to do my first lager, so alsolooking for a bit of advice.

I have been pitching dry yeast at around 14-15c and it takes about 6-8 hours to get down to 10.5c. I personally wouldn't pitch too high as I want it too be down to the intended initial fermentation temp within 12 hours max. There seems to be alot opinions that yeast flavour profile is most effected in the first 48-72 hours of fermentation. The fast lager method starts at a traditional low temp for the first few days then increasing the temp as fermentation gets past 50% attenuation to encourage a quicker lager fermentation. This again suggests starting low is the important part.
Depends on the yeast strains range too as you could use a Kolsch or Californian common strain if keeping it low is an issue.
You may have some more tolerance with fermentation temp if your able to ferment under some pressure. Hope this helps.

I start mine at the intended fermentation temperature, i.e. low. You have options though: this is from the Wyeast FAQ:

1647087359812.png

Back