Lager yeast ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow Legs

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello, just started a Coopers Lager kit using Beer Enhancer and Lager yeast instead of theirs, I pitched the yeast in at around 20deg C left it for 15 mins then stirred it as instructed on the Youngs yeast packet.

It's been in for around 5 hours now and nothing is happening, does the lager yeast take longer to get going ? as I use the kits yeast usually and it virtually starts blibbing in the airlock straight away.

Any suggestions would be great,

Colin.

Too early to say yet Colin, bet its going like the clappers this time tomorrow :thumb:

I's second Sean Mc's advice. If I'm using a dried yeast straight into wort I don't bank on seeing any activity for 18 hours. If you used cold water to make up your quantities, you'll have dissolved oxygen (don't worry, it's the right thing to do), and your yeast will curently be mutiplying while feasting on that dissolved oxygen (the aerobic stage of fermentation).

Once it's used up the oxygen, it will enter the anaerobic stage, which is the stage we recognise as fermentation; ie lots of bubbles and froth, oh and yes that unfortunate waste-product........ alcohol!

the best thing to do is rehydrate the dried yeast in warm water about 30deg c for lager yeast. use water out of the kettle.

then pitch

If you are using true lager yeast, you need to get the temp of your wort right down, 20 deg is going to give you some funky flavours.

UP

Nothing happening, it's been over 30hrs now so have stirred the wort put the brew belt on and added the yeast that come with the kit. If you don't want to see a grown man cry please look away now :shock:

I will check the progress later and let you know

Colin.

Sean_Mc said:
Hi Colin hows the brew going
Hi Sean-Mc, thanks for asking, time will tell really as in the last post I added the yeast that came with the kit and it is now fermenting like a good un but I can't help thinking that the lager yeast even tho' didn't kick in will probably start working or fighting? the kit yeast.

I'll keep you informed in a month or so. bottled a Coopers Draught last night, oooooooh the smell was gorgeous, looking forward to that in a few months :D

Latest posts

Back