Lagerbeer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
With the warm weather around the corner :pray: and barbecues more likely, I want to try and make something that'll pass for lager ( :sick: ) for those that are just refusing to drink bitter/ale but without genuine lager yeast as i haven't got refrigerated fermenters yet

do you reckon i can use a 50/50 mix of MO and lagermalt with a good dosage of hops, use S04, then force carbonate it to buggery?

BrewStew said:
do you reckon i can use a 50/50 mix of MO and lagermalt with a good dosage of hops, use S04, then force carbonate it to buggery?
Yes but it won't be lager!! . . .. . If you chill it through a couple of product chillers to around -2C most of the Lager drinkers in the UK will drink it
icon_sick.gif

Just make a normal golden pale with american hops and the lager drinkers will love it.

Just don't tell them it's not lager.

You can do what you say but to get that authentic "Carling" style use plenty of adjuncts to remove any malt taste, and low hop additions cos you want to avoid the " 's allright, but it tastes funny ?" comments :roll:
When I can be arsed brewing for the "lager connoisseurs"
I go with
For 20L
2.75kg pale malt (don't waste your money on lager malt, they won't be able to tell)
750g flaked rice I get this stuff from the spices aisle of tesco
Flakedric.jpg

Yes it's an old photo ;)
and whatever hops you want to 10 ibu they wont be able to taste the difference and you don't want any aroma
Ferment at lowish temps with a neutralish yeast like SO4
Carbonate the hell out of it so that all you can taste is the CO2 on serving and you should be fine :sick:

You should be able to chill the cr4p out of this without it throwing a haze, like this :D
Cornyice.jpg

that'll do!

i can't believe i'm even considering tainting my shiny brewery with this ****.... feckin lager louts! :evil:

cheers :thumb:

I'm also thinking about it.

The MP who won the rights to brew Wrexham Lager again has thrown open the gauntlet to local brewers (commercial and anyone who fancies a go) to brew a cask conditioned lager.

Need to find out some more information from him but I'm certainly tempted to have a go.

i know! :sick:

but when you've got plans to host a whole hog spit roast spring party, you've kinda got to cater for everyone.... even if it means brewing **** :evil:

I would say blag em with some brewing malarchy such as "hmm well ya see lager is really a beer to be brewed in cold climates"... but even that line won't fly as it's been bloody freezing!!!! No excuse there I suppose. :rofl:

I've had some pretty damned good Czech Pilsners served by gravity, Lager is not the **** the ad men would have you believe . . . In fact I might very well put the Bohemian Pilsner on the hand pump :hmm:

Yes aleman there are. Unfortunately I find them few and far between. I've had a couple I enjoy. I'm sure ninety percent of it is down to my personal taste but hey I figure after this long on the planet I can complain about something can't I? :hmm: ha ha.

Why don't you try a Kolsch?

Ferment like an ale and then lager at low temp for a couple of weeks.

Try the Cologne style Lager from Sainbury's "Taste the difference" range brewed by the Meantime Brewery in Greenwich. Would be interesting to see how someone else's turns out. :thumb:

Aleman said:
I've had some pretty damned good Czech Pilsners served by gravity, Lager is not the **** the ad men would have you believe . . . In fact I might very well put the Bohemian Pilsner on the hand pump :hmm:

you may have to give me a nudge in the direction of a recipe.... ;)

Lagers can be absolutely delicious beers and for the most part they are. Not any of the highly carbonated low aroma ones we all know and hate obviously. Good call on the Beer Engine Aleman.

When I think Summer drinking I think Wheat Beers. Belgian Wits, Berliner Weisse (acquired taste) or some Kristallweizen (clear wheat beer without yeast haze - delicious!).

BrewStew said:
Aleman said:

you may have to give me a nudge in the direction of a recipe.... ;)
You mean like the one I posted here, which Was altered in the Brew day thread here :roll:

Berliner Weisse (acquired taste)
Like Kindl . . . yummy . . . sort of like battery acid . . . but nicer :lol:

Aleman said:
Like Kindl . . . yummy . . . sort of like battery acid . . . but nicer

Yeah! Big Saucer of Berliner Battery Acid with a little woodruff to toss in. Shame the brewers can't make any adjustments in the Brewery else their Beer is not allowed to be called Beer anymore

Which reminds me I thought the German Purity laws were repealed due to restriction of trade? Regardless it's clear we're all off to Brewstews for the hog roast and beers.

:lol:

ooooh you're batch size is close to mine... that wont take much converting ;)

the only ingredient i've got out of those is wheat malt :lol: how hard are the other ingredients to come by? i only recognise a few of them from the usual suspects

BS... I made the Kolsch about 4 months ago and its still sat in the Corni in my spare fridge :D Its excellent ..and its an AG mash at 66 degrees...but it's expensive because it uses the German Malts and Hops :oops:

If you want the recipe I will post it on here for any one interested....Its fantastic :thumb:

Latest posts

Back