Lagering a Coopers Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yushinoka

Reaction score
Shall i Lager my Thomas Coopers Pilsner?

Has anyone tried this? Its in the Primary and i was going to wait until 2weeksish then transfer it to another FV and gradually chill it for 3-5 weeks

Will a kit beer like this benefit?

abeyptfc said:
wendy1971 said:
Dont bother just sup it :thumb:
quality answer wendy! :D just get it kegged or bottled then throw it doon yer throat! nae messing about!

is this the way you feel about all pils/lager kits? or would you just recommend that for this kit?

Ive got a Coopers Mexican waiting to be cracked... I was going to lager it.. but... space is at a premium... has anyone acutally lagered a kit.. is it worth it!?

wendy1971 said:
Its totally your choice but i wouldnt be able to wait so i would drink it

but if in a parallel universe you were able to wait, with the coopers pils as an example.....do you feel bulk cold conditioning it in a FV would be a worthwhile process?

Darcey said:
Ive got a Coopers Mexican waiting to be cracked... I was going to lager it.. but... space is at a premium... has anyone acutally lagered a kit.. is it worth it!?

I did both a Coopers Lager and a Cooper Mexican Cerveza at 10-14 C. However these are my first attempts at them. The problem is that the yeast in these kits is normal ale yeast so after 2 weeks in the fridge I took them both out and they started fermenting faster, and I had to wait another week.

They have been bottled now for 2 weeks and look very clear. Problem is though that some are nicely carbonated and taste just like a proper Sol or Corona while other bottles are dead flat. I have been advised to let them condition for longer so will have more feedback in a couple of weeks, but my fingers are crossed I will get bubbles soon :-(

Anyhow I am doing the Coopers Cerveza again now and fermenting at normal temp (21-24 C) and in time will be able to compare the results from both batches.

My advice for now is to use a lager yeast with the kit if you want to lager it, otherwise just follow the kit instructions.

Hi, I've not done the Pilsner but have done quite a few Coopers Euro kits (not lagered them tho') and when the weather allowed set my heater controller to 17degC and left it to ferment out, usually in two weeks or so, I live in a house that doesn't get warm even in summer, batch primed and left for two weeks in a warm place etc etc........and the majority have tasted like lager from Europe ;)

This kit does come with lager yeast apparently :thumb:

Good luck, happy suppin' :drink:

Back