Lagering question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve transferred my first lager, Bohemian Pilsner, to one of my King Kegs from the fermentation bucket. Purged the KK with CO2 before transfer and gave it a puff of gas (about 5 p.s.i.) before starting to lager at 1C. I noticed the pressure has reduced to zero on the gauge so pressurised to 15 p.s.i. Now, a few days later the pressure is back to zero, obviously the gas is dissolving into the beer. I’ve not read anything about maintaining gas pressure until after lagering when carbonating. Should I leave it at zero p.s.i. or keep adding CO2?

I’ve transferred my first lager, Bohemian Pilsner, to one of my King Kegs from the fermentation bucket. Purged the KK with CO2 before transfer and gave it a puff of gas (about 5 p.s.i.) before starting to lager at 1C. I noticed the pressure has reduced to zero on the gauge so pressurised to 15 p.s.i. Now, a few days later the pressure is back to zero, obviously the gas is dissolving into the beer. I’ve not read anything about maintaining gas pressure until after lagering when carbonating. Should I leave it at zero p.s.i. or keep adding CO2?
I’m no expert on lager I’ve only brewed it a couple of times and use corny kegs to lager and condition.
I just put it in a spare fridge connected to CO2 set at about 11 psi and leave it to do its own thing I’ve never considered carbonating after lagering you’ve now got me thinking 🤔! ……….
I can’t see why it won’t work but I’m sure there are others out there who are expert lager brewers who could advise.

I usually lager in my fermentation bucket in the fermentation fridge for about 6 weeks which takes the fridge out of action for other brewing for some considerable time.
If I reduced this time to 2-3 weeks and then kegged and stored in the Keezer at 6 degrees for a further 3 weeks, would this work as well and would I need to carbonate during this second session?
Help!

I ended up leaving my pilsner in my pressure barrel showing 0 psi at 1C for 3 weeks then gradually carbonated it up to 14 psi at 5C over a week.
IMG_20230617_163908598_HDR.jpg

It's drinkable and will probably improve over time. Probably won't brew another lager as 1. I prefer ales and 2. Ales require less time in the brew fridge and therefore don't restrict brewing activity.

Went down the route of lagering in the fermentation fridge for only three weeks and kegging. Definitely drinkable and I’ve not noticed any discernable difference to longer laggered predecessors!

Latest posts

Back