Laptop recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need a laptop? You get more for your money with a desktop. They have the added advantage of components not being crammed into a very small space reducing the chance of thermal failure\degradation. They're also easier to upgrade if you find you require a better graphics card or additional hdd space etc.

Do you need a laptop? You get more for your money with a desktop. They have the added advantage of components not being crammed into a very small space reducing the chance of thermal failure\degradation. They're also easier to upgrade if you find you require a better graphics card or additional hdd space etc.
Can you even buy a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse for 300? I can't imagine ever buying another desktop or tower.

It's a great shout, but space is at a premium - there are 5 of us trying to work / learn from home 🤪

Excellent. Was it a well-known brand? Did it come with any extra software like Office? Was it in budget?
While I would normally agree if space is an issue for having an external monitor it will definitely be an issue for a desktop (but yes you can get a lot more for your money with a desktop).

His budget is £300 if you add external screens and keyboards it's going to reduce the spec of the laptop.
While it would be tight if you need to stick to a £300 budget you can pick up monitors second hand for about £50-£60 (or you could in March), but from the sounds of it space is at a premium so wouldn’t do much good anyway.

Edit: or a 19” one for about £20 delivered(but no stand) if you ever change your mind just looked on eBay. A lot in the £30-£40 range.

I would love to buy myself a new laptop but I have two which work, one stuck on WIN7 but it's useful for some old programmes. It is getting new antivirus definitions from Microsoft, almost daily. Its screen resolution is too low to even get WIN8.

I would love to buy myself a new laptop but I have two which work, one stuck on WIN7 but it's useful for some old programmes. It is getting new antivirus definitions from Microsoft, almost daily. Its screen resolution is too low to even get WIN8.
I‘m pretty certain the only thing worse than Windows 8 was Windows ME.

I had every version from 3.1 to 20H2. I never hated any of them. I started with IBM DOS 6 or MS DOS 5.

If you don't want to splash out on MS Office then Open Office is free and works great. It has pretty much the same functionality as MS office for a basic user, I use it's spreadsheet and WP package often.
Also Inkscape is a great free graphics package for making labels and the like. And it's Gimp for a good free photo editing package.

Google Sheets and Google Docs are also good alternatives. But I got a legal copy of Office Pro 2016 for £22 I like to have Word and Excel handy but would never pay a subscription

If you don't want to splash out on MS Office then Open Office is free and works great. It has pretty much the same functionality as MS office for a basic user, I use it's spreadsheet and WP package often.
Also Inkscape is a great free graphics package for making labels and the like. And it's Gimp for a good free photo editing package.
I would second Open Office, and being free and open source worst case if you hate it you’ve lost maybe half an hour of your time downloading and installing.

If you only have a £300 budget for an education / homeschool / entertainment machine , then I would Not get a windows laptop.
Chromebook!

We got one for my 13yr old and it's incredible for the money. Full HD screen (not just HD ready) and using her school account for office/teams etc, it does absolutely everything she needs. Plus having access to play store, she has all the apps and media stuff she needs and wants. Photo editing, games, syncs to her android phone, Netflix etc
Genuinely very very impressed. As for storage memory, yes it is short... But virtually everything is streamed. Ram again isn't an issue as its all cloud apps. I did buy a 512gb micro sd card for £20 to expand the local storage for all her photos and art projects. Can you believe how cheap sd cards are!
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ium-silver-64-gb-emmc-white-10213252-pdt.html

pre-covid I would recommend a refurb Lenovo Thinkpad , or maybe an HP Elitebook or Dell Latitude. Business machines are vastly better built (by and large) than consumer laptops. They tend to come in a huge range of specs though so can take a bit of effort to find ones that are good value. Prices went up quite a bit though over the last year.

Back