LAST KIT BREW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Hi

My first was a St peters ruby red (nice :) ) then it was a John Bull best bitter with enhancer pack (still conditioning but on an accidental ;) sampling it was good, i am now putting on my last kit which is a woodfords werry, Ive not been brewing even 2 months yet and already im getting itchy feet for something a bit more involved and tastier than a kit brew, so im going to be doing an extract brew when this werry is in bottels.
Im looking for a dark ale to do, any suggestions please.

Cheers

Rich

jonewer said:
Slippery slop to the dark side you are on!

Dark brews with extract? :wha:

You could try steeping some chocolate and black malt as well as crystal......

:lol: ive already found myself looking at the shiny stuff :twisted: , a neibour of mine has got three beer kegs in his garden and he said i could have them, oh dear, i wouldnt even know where to begin with AG, please nobody tell me just yet, i might not be able to help myself, :lol: ( addictive this brewing ).

Cheers

Rich

This is just my opinion Richard, but i would forget about extract and move straight on to AG. Extract costs a lot more and the results are no where near AS GOOD.

Isnt AG very time consuming? not sure ive got a whole day to brew beer.

Cheers

Rich

richard said:
Isnt AG very time consuming? not sure ive got a whole day to brew beer.

Cheers

Rich

From start to finish i would say betwwen 6 - 7 hours. But you can split it over two days.
On my last brew i mashed on a Saturday (from start to finish it took me about 3 hours) and boiled on a Sunday which once the wort got to boiling point (around 45 minutes) it took about 2 hours
in total

It is a little. Took me 6 hours to do my first brew but thats part of the appeal. Two sections of the procces are 90 min's so give you time to do other things.

Go for it mate, I did one extract brew then went straight onto AG. Yes its time consuming but the rewards are worth it! :thumb:

Ok Ok

Looks like you have all twisted my arm :twisted: AG it is then, its going to take me a bit longer to get this sorted i think as im not sure how to set this up, im thinking to start with i will forget the three kegs and get 2 bruheat boilers, one for mashing in the bag and then boiliing and the other for sparg water, Does this sound like it will work?

:cheers:

Rich

If you have the chance for free kegs go for them....just make sure they are all above aboard...there is a website for kegs so you can check their numbers..(if I find it I'll post it) :nono:

Your one lucky son of a gun if you get them...there are those of us who would sell a valuable organ to get hold of free kegs.

Loads of info on the boards to help you get started :thumb:

Dieseljockey said:
If you have the chance for free kegs go for them....just make sure they are all above aboard...there is a website for kegs so you can check their numbers..(if I find it I'll post it) :nono:

Your one lucky son of a gun if you get them...there are those of us who would sell a valuable organ to get hold of free kegs.

Hi

Please accuse my stupidity, but.
Above board kegs? sorry im not sure what you mean, check numbers? There free, do it really matter.

Cheers

Rich

You have to be carefull look at kegwatch its a company that claims back beer kegs as its costing breweries millions in replacements

richard said:
Dieseljockey said:

Hi

Please accuse my stupidity, but.
Above board kegs? sorry im not sure what you mean, check numbers? There free, do it really matter.

Cheers

Rich

Rich all kegs have an owner. They are numbered and can at any time be taken back by the owner. If the kegs your neighbour has are not registerd as sold to him and then passed on to you I believe a system called KEG WATCH can reclaim any Kegs that are not in the possesion of the rightfull owner.

Ok guys

I dont want to be ripping off the brewry of anything, do you think i should just leave them alone? I know the guy and there is no way he paid for them, maybe had them given to him.

Cheers

Rich

All you have to do is take the numbers off the kegs...and as Snail & 31bb3 said go to Keg Watch and check those numbers....simple'ss :grin:

Hi

I have decided to forget the kegs as i they should go back to the brewry really :( , looks like i will have to get the bruheat boilers, no big deal as these look like they are going to be easyer to store when not in use.

Thanks for the input guys, my last kit brew is a wherry and it has stuck at 1.016 :eek: not.

Cheers

Rich

Dieseljockey said:
Hi...Why don't you make your boiler with the Tesco kettle elements like a lot of the guys???
there's a lot of info on it here.

Yes i suppose i could, would the youngs fermentation bins i have be ok for this purpose? thanks for the suggestion, could save me alot of money as i have 2 spare bins in the loft.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back