Late Knights - hops order

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
My favourite best biter at the moment is Late Knights' Morning Glory, and helpfully, their website tells us which malts and hops they use. The hops are Magnum, Cascade and Columbus but I've no idea which order to add these to the boil. Magnum is rated for its bitering so I guess that will be in for the full hour. But what would you suggest with the other two: adding one at the end and the other to dry hop? If it's any use, the final flavour is acually more malt-forward than anything, very biscuit/nutty tasting.

Ahoy, thehorse

I work at Late Knights - thanks for the compliment! Morning Glory is one of my personal favourites in our range. Its actually Magnum and Goldings hops - initially we used 100% Goldings, and the beer was amazing, the woody, soft bittering quality of it made the first sip a real 'wow!' moment... but as you continued down the glass it wound up a little cloying, you'd want to move on to something else - not the intended result for a session Best Bitter. Magnum gives it enough bitter backbone to balance the goldings aroma hops and accentuate their flavour on the front.

Anyway, the recipe is pretty straightforward;

91% English Pale Malt (We use Crisp)
7% Crystal Malt
2% Torrified Wheat

60 minute mash @ 68.

60 minute boil;
Magnum, 26.5 IBU's @ 60
Goldings, 11 IBU's @ 30
Goldings; 1 gram per litre @ 5 minutes (2.6IBU's)

Fermentis So4, ideally within temperature range of about 20 - 22.

No dry hopping.

Hope that helps!

Sam

Ahoy, thehorse

I work at Late Knights - thanks for the compliment! Morning Glory is one of my personal favourites in our range. Its actually Magnum and Goldings hops - initially we used 100% Goldings, and the beer was amazing, the woody, soft bittering quality of it made the first sip a real 'wow!' moment... but as you continued down the glass it wound up a little cloying, you'd want to move on to something else - not the intended result for a session Best Bitter. Magnum gives it enough bitter backbone to balance the goldings aroma hops and accentuate their flavour on the front.

Anyway, the recipe is pretty straightforward;

91% English Pale Malt (We use Crisp)
7% Crystal Malt
2% Torrified Wheat

60 minute mash @ 68.

60 minute boil;
Magnum, 26.5 IBU's @ 60
Goldings, 11 IBU's @ 30
Goldings; 1 gram per litre @ 5 minutes (2.6IBU's)

Fermentis So4, ideally within temperature range of about 20 - 22.

No dry hopping.

Hope that helps!

Sam

There you have it the horse the answer comes to you :lol:

Great stuff :thumb:

Wow, thank you. That's so kind of you, I'll let you know how I get on.

FYI If you want to alter it, I'm sure the website mentions Cascade and Columbus - I didn't just make it up.

Anyway, I will get in some Goldings (which makes much more sense), and give this a go. I'm guessing that the tiorrified wheat gives some nuttiness, too.

PS/ To anyone who doesn't know Late Knights of southeast London, their pubs are very good, and their Penge Porter is almost as good as Morning Glory

Back