Leakage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding an issue I'm having, I have a batch of muntons Belgian ale in leffe 750ml bottles all was well with the bottles while they have been upright on my racking but yesterday I moved the racking to my workshop and put the bottles into a traditional sideways on wine rack and this morning I found each bottle had let out a couple drops of beer, I cleared up and submerged each bottle in water and found no leaks .
Is it possible that while upright the caps were venting excess pressure which the couldn't do when on their side ?

I'm going to take them all to put them back upright on the racking in my substantially colder workshop, is there anything else I need to do ?

Btw the beer is fully mature and is bloody lovely and I would hate to lose it !

All input is welcome.

Mark

That's very strange. Are they sealed with crown caps? If so, they shouldn't leak whatever the angle, but as Clint says maybe it is down to sudden change in temperature which has affected the seal. In any case, it makes more sense to store them upright, otherwise you'll struggle to pour them without getting a glassful of sediment.

Hi ,
Yes crown caps put on with a bench capper, I've put them in my very cold workshop upright and all is well.
I didn't mention but may be relevant that I switched on the heating this week which on reflection may have affected it.

I had wondered that if while upright the bottles had been venting past the caps and when I put them in the wine rack the beer was preventing that from happening , I was wondering if caps were designed to let off excess pressure as I've not had any exploding bottles or gushers.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Mark

Latest posts

Back