Leaky Pressure Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justink

Reaction score
I have sprung a leak!

I kegged my first Wherry on Monday with 100g of brewing sugar. Immediately there was a leak around the tap seal. I should mention this is a youngs type pressure keg.

First mistake was check all the seals before kegging - learnt that the hard way now!

So given it had only just been kegged I laid it on its back and took the tap off, dried it, Vaseline it again and put it back on. After tightening it a bit more the leak stopped. Happy days.

2 days later its started to leak very slightly. A drop has formed so far so nothing too drastic yet.

So, my options are as I see them:

1. just leave it and see what happens. I'm slightly worried that now I'm about to put it somewhere cool it may contract slightly and leak more? And I figure if I'm going to tinker with it now is better time to do it than later on....?

2. tip it back and take the tap off (obviously letting the pressure out first) and try fixing it again....more Vaseline, maybe some PTFE tape?

3. draw a pint off and see if that lowers the pressure enough to stop it leaking (sounds the tastiest option)

I've seen many posts about this problem but it seems some options work for some but not others so I really dont know which if any to choose!!!!

Any advice gratefully received!

If you have reduced it to just a drop forming now an then rather than mess with it more I'd leave it. Sort it properly between the next brews. If the keg is looking quite 'bulged' especially round the base draw a pint off for "Quality control purposes! " and the weep from the seal will probably stop.

How much priming sugar did you use ... 80 grams is about the max for these kegs before they start to struggle to keep the pressure in !

:cheers:

How much priming sugar did you use ... 80 grams is about the max for these kegs before they start to struggle to keep the pressure in !

Hmmm I put in 100g as per box instructions...... :!:

Looks like I may have to suffer a pint tonight...... :grin:

Hi mate i use the youngs budget kegs and have had similar problems in the past with the odd drip from the tap seal. I would do as Strangebrew suggested and draw a pint off to help reduce the pressure it always worked for me.
Although they have a pressure relief valve on the lid whenever they are over primed they seem to force a bit of beer out of the tap seal, it's no big deal really but next time just use 80grams to prime

I managed to get half a pint out....and half a pint of head!!!

There is a lot of pressure behind it, I couldn't even get the tap fully open it came out with such force!

Tastes really nice though which is good! I cant wait for it to clear fully and taste even better!!!! I'll take another half and see how it goes. This is my first ever go so I have no idea what sort of pressure gets behind it, does what I have described seem like too much pressure?

justink said:
I managed to get half a pint out....and half a pint of head!!!

There is a lot of pressure behind it, I couldn't even get the tap fully open it came out with such force!

does what I have described seem like too much pressure?

These budget kegs are a little bit like that almost explosive initially and after few pints settle down to a more sensible flow... Once the flow finally dwindles to a feeble trickle ( varies how long that will take depending how fast you drink) it's time to add some Co2 from a bulb through the cap. I usually get more than half the barrel drunk before I need to add Co2 then maybe a 2nd bulb once it's down to about a gallon left but not always...

:drink:

Thanks StrangeBrew, thats reassuring!

I didn't realise how stressful this brew lark can be when you desperately want your first one to be a success but have no idea what to expect at each stage! Guess the next ones will be easier.....especially once I get a few beers down the hatch...

StrangeBrew - out of interest, do you use the little tiny CO2 'one shot' bulbs or do you use the S30 things that I assume you just twist on for a second and then take off again?

justink said:
StrangeBrew - out of interest, do you use the little tiny CO2 'one shot' bulbs or do you use the S30 things that I assume you just twist on for a second and then take off again?

Depends on the type of valve you have, there are two kinds... if it has a tube like 'pin' down the hole you use bulbs, if it is flat bottomed inside with just a small hole down inside then you can use the larger twist on twist off cylinders.

S30 pin valves for bulbs are usually supplied.... rather than S30 valves for cylinders...

However there is one brand of valve around that has a reversible insert that can by used with both bulbs and cylinders. This is the type I use... gives me the most versatility.

Latest posts

Back