Left a Beer Kit in Fermentation Chamber for 6 Months. What's This on Top?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show Me a Stein

Reaction score
Hi guys! I

So I came across a beer kit which was being thrown out, and so I took it and used it, not wanting it to go to waste!

That was six months ago, unbelievably to me. I never got around to bottling it, as the brews I put more effort into took my attention and things have been pretty hectic.

But I'm bottling it now!

Most of my other brews have been completely clear at the top, so I'm just wondering -- what's this? It's almost like krausen that never left. Is it unused yeast or some other stuff that's just hanging out, and floating instead of sinking?

My instinct says it's not infected, but I don't really know, and am curious as to other more experienced brewers' opinions!

FWIW, I've not once opened the container since fermenting (not even to take FG), and, honestly, it smells pretty good!

Thanks in advance!

signal-2021-09-04-211511_002.jpeg

Left over krausen.
Taste it

It's not obviously infected. As @Leon103 says, taste it. You'll survive.

In act of bravery (:laugh8:) I scooped some beer including the potential krausen directly from the top -- and it tastes OK!

I then took some from the tap, and it oddly tasted less beer-like, but that's neither her nor there I suppose.

Either way, all tastes good. Cheers for the opinions!

Latest posts

Back