Lid on or lid off during/leading up to boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leading up to on... During half on half off (if you know what I mean?)
Well that's what I do anyway :thumb:

+1

Today, I don't know why, I put it fully on, only for a minute .............. and payed the price :roll: :roll: :roll:

joe1002 said:
Pjam said:
+1

Today, I don't know why, I put it fully on, only for a minute .............. and payed the price :roll: :roll: :roll:
What do you mean by that Pjam?

I'd guess it boiled over? If so woops!

I normally go for on leading up to boil then off after. Was to know curious what people did.

Lid off up to and half on through the boil.

I am of the understanding that DMS boils off at a lowish temp so is driven off before the wort begins to boil.

lid up to and during boil as it means I can run at reduced propane pressure so I save gas. Have to watch for boil overs mind, but the saving makes it worthwhile. Wonder for electric boilers if you could use a float switch to detect boil overs and cut the power to the elements for a short period?

I have to boil lid on because I only have a domestic electric stove. I lift the lid occasionally to check the situation. Don't think I've ever had a DMS problem with 90% Maris Otter.

I have an electrim type boiler with thermostat and boil outside. I had previously used one without any thermomostat and had always boiled with a small enough gap to let steam escape. I tried to do the same with the new heater but, perhaps when the thermostat turned off the heater the lid moved back on and seemed to have fixed itself. I was out in the garden and the first I knew of any problem was what sounded like an explosion, the boiler acted like a mortar, shooting the lid and a good 1/3 of the contents into the air, :eek: just as well no one was near it at the time. I saved the brew by adding DME and making up the volume but now I always keep the lid off!!

As a related question, what do you guys do about the hot break foam in the larger boilers? I know in a small stove top pan it can get a bit hairy, I tried whirlpooling it so the foam gets sucked down and boils off faster, but.... if you stop or slow the whirlpool it volcanoes and shoots boiling wort out the centre.

Latey I've just stirred the foam back in slowly and it doesn't seem to get as intense as I imagined, I have visions of the foam rapidly rising and pouring over.

PaulCa said:
As a related question, what do you guys do about the hot break foam in the larger boilers? I know in a small stove top pan it can get a bit hairy, I tried whirlpooling it so the foam gets sucked down and boils off faster, but.... if you stop or slow the whirlpool it volcanoes and shoots boiling wort out the centre.

Latey I've just stirred the foam back in slowly and it doesn't seem to get as intense as I imagined, I have visions of the foam rapidly rising and pouring over.

if it ever gets a foamy near to boil over etc spray with water with a spray
or spray with Anti-foam Vinoferm to get it back in control

Thanks, i need to get a water spray. I tried to repurpose a kitchen cleaner spray bottle, but I'll never get the smell out of it.

Just before it starts to boil and get foamy I chuck a few of the first hops in... Kills the froth dead.

I also tend to skim the foam off with a large spoon or sieve.

Well my first full volume boil was tense, but turned out to be benign. Just stirred it in as it formed. I don't recommend the whirlpooling thing, it get dangerous. Though I just realised I have been brewing condensed wort with partial mashes and a 12 litre pot.... until now.

On the original point of the thread. I tried lid off and lid partly on, not risking lid "on". The alarming thing with lid off, is the amount of boil off. My cooker hood is not extracted, just pumped up above the cupboards. It was raining beer, literally, I had to put the lid part on to stop the brown drips forming on the ceiling. Actually had to go up and clean the ceiling afterwards.

Latest posts

Back