Lifting BIAB grain bag....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx4100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

Trying to decide if to go down the mash tun route or the BIAB route for AG... Going to jump straight in from using kits (very disappointed with kits)

The only thing that worries me about the BIAB route is lifting the grain bag. If I am doing 40 pint runs (I will never do more) can I lift the bag by hand. I can't really setup a pull as I don't trust the beams in my ageing external garage to support the weight.

I suppose I might have to go down the mash tun route ? So a second question. What size mash tun should I am aim for if I want to do 40 pints ?

Cheers for any feedback...

DSCF3335.JPG

Easy peasy

I lifted mine with no problem I would say at most it was 15kg?

Just be carefull when lifting it out that you dont do what I did and dribble wort down the side of the boiler all over the socket... :shock: :oops: ...just bloody glad it wasnt switched on at the time! :whistle:

well i have a hybrid system-bent ss braid, mash tun plus open sheet(kinda gives a false bottom just above the outlet- to make removing the grains easier if it gets stuck mash or something unexpected and i lifted the 4kg of grain out ok but is more like 8kg when its absorbed the water. so i honestly couldnt keep it there to let it drip myself for more than 10mins realistically -as mash ontop a chest freezer atm-so if letting it drip will need to DIY something as the BIAB'ers have done above-as for efficency i reckon batch sparging will be about the same as BIAB efficency wise-but batch maybe more consistant (whatever that may be for you- i get 72% approx or a bit less but now get nice clear wort the 2nd time round) - summery i think having read about BIAB and batch sparging- latter is clearer more often with same efficency, BIAB simpler but more variable eff wise-some get 60 some get 80% depending on their BIAB skills, dunksparging, doublecrushing and the like. Both when used properly will give very very nice beer and both can be very consistant with the right methods so its all about personal choice i thought seemas u generally buy a coolbox (28l min is recommended, can get 28l thermos ones from tesco online cheap atm) why not look slick with a ballvalve and stuff aswell then can upgrade to proper sparging if u can be bothered later

I converted a 25l fv into a mash tun really cheap and easy bit brutal looking but effective you easily have space in it for the grains up to about 7%

as long as you dont do what i did, put the tall burco on the kitchen worktop.. i needed to get u on the worktop to pull it out :)

the other option is to consider a way of lowering the vessel from below the bag?

I use a bike repair stand to lift and suspend my bag.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/s ... kstand.htm

It's light - so is easily moved over the kettle, has spread apart feet so fits in well below my kettle and telescopic - so I can drop the head down to kettle level to clamp the bag and then lift the bag out. The head also twists and locks so it's very adjustable for height. I've lifted a RIS recipe with ~ 10KG grain with no probs, although that bag got added to a burcos worth of water for a small beer.

Once the bag has mostly drained and I've squeezed it a bit I move the bag/stand out of the way and let it slowly drip while the boil gets going.I add the 'drippings' back to the boil every so often.

It's also very handy when I need to tinker with agarage worths of bikes :D

Stuart

That would of been a really good solution actually as I have bikes and the addition of a repair stand would of been useful for lots of reasons!!!

Since the OP I have ordered a cool box to use as a mash tun... Kind of wished you had posted this a couple of days ago! lol :D

31bb3 said:
I converted a 25l fv into a mash tun really cheap and easy bit brutal looking but effective you easily have space in it for the grains up to about 7%

My original 40 pint set up was a 25l fv as well - I had it foam insulated by a mate. :thumb:

Back