Limoncello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that site is American, 100% proof spirit over there is the equivalent of 50% ABV. Available as vodka from any supermarket.

Apparently you need the abv to be around 90% to get the most out of the lemons. Bit difficult to get over here but I'm sure I'll find something through good ol' google.

Aren't you just going to follow that recipe? That just uses Smirinoff blue label, which is the same as it is over here.

You're going to struggle getting strong, neutral alcohol without it having nasty additives.

Hi Denny,

I'm Italian, belove our recipe for limoncello ( I try to translate):

For 1,5 l of limoncello:
- 10 lemons middle size,
- 1 l of alcohol at 90°,
- 400 gr of sugar
- 0,5l water

wash the lemons and remove the peal without remove the withe part and cutter them in small slice .
Take the slice and infusion in hermetic box with 1 l of alcohol for 15 days.
After 15 day make a syrup with water and sugar , to facilitate the dissolution of sugar you can to heat the water,when the water have room temperature mixing with the alcohol with lemons.
Filter the solution 2 -3 time up when it's clear and bottle

Hi Smilzon

Thanks for the recipe. It is proving very difficult to source 90% ABV Alcohol in the UK. I may just have to use vodka but this wont produce an authentic Limoncello. :(

Hi Guys

Most recipes on the net call for 90 proof vodka but to successfully extract the limonene from the zest of the lemons a 190 proof :shock: grain alcohol is used. The end product would be mixed as a long drink or neat if you want some fire in your belly. See below for extract from website:

'The first time I made limoncello I used a mid- to low-grade vodka. The quality wasn't a big problem, but the proof was. Use the strongest alcohol you can find, preferably Everclear (190 proof). Not only does the higher proof extract the lemon oils better, but when the final limoncello is diluted with simple syrup, it doesn't get slushy when brought down to freezing temperatures.

:cheers:

I was just thinking:
If the finish Alcohol scould be about 60° means 30% ABV , you could start with 1L 90° (45%) alcohol plus 0.5L water with a proportion we would get a solution of 1,5 l at 60° means 30% ABV , imo is a standar "limoncello"

danny said:
This is the strongest stuff I can find on the net:
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5129.aspx
Anyone know of anything stronger...and cheaper!!
Stronger, yes, 90% abv. Cheaper, no.
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nl ... inid=90909

I thought degrees proof was % abv x 7/4
40% abv, 70° proof
and if I recall correctly, 100° proof (57% abv) is that which will still burn when mixed in equal measure with gunpowder, but it's rather an old definition and % abv is far more logical.

Crikey this is going to be expensive if operations are carried out as planned!!!

180 proof is readily available in US and Italy and many others I guess, but not the UK, that sucks. Back tracking for a moment on that statement, I guess its a good thing that it isn't available given the Uk's current rate of teen pregnancies and binge drinking.

I might have to get my pal in Italy to send some over, what are the chances of it arriving intact!!

Latest posts

Back