Liquid yeast pitch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1454

Reaction score
Hi

How do I pitch liquid yeast? I've so far only dealt with dry yeast.
Says I need to put it in the fridge.
The yeast is
SAFALE US-05.

But thought I'd read you need to out it in warm water?

Thanks

Do you mean re-hydrated dried yeast? US-05 is a dry yeast so I'm guessing so? It's normally along the lines of adding the yeast to 100ml of so of warm (30-40c) water and leaving it for 15 mins then stirring it and adding to the brew. The back of the packet should give you specific volumes and temperatures for the ideal.

Liquid yeast in a pouch can just be added directly or more commonly built up in a starter first.

Keep all yeast in a fridge, dry is ok out of it but liquid isn't, ideally you do want the yeast to be close to the wort temp at pitching but I always forget so mine's colder, not noticed an issue. I think pitching cold yeast into warmer wort is a lot better than the other way around where the yeast get a chill then don't wake up and start fermenting properly.

Sorry... the US 05 is the dry option. The kit gives the option of dried which I did not realise on posting this.

The liquid one is White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

So I can just add the liquid yeast straight in at near to wort temp or mix with warm water first ?

Thanks

What's the OG you're aiming for and what's the manufacture date on the yeast?

If it's a sensible strength beer and the yeast is new-ish then you can just sanitise the tube and tip it in, label probably says that's fine for beers up to 1.060 or something. If the yeast's a bit older then it might need a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good practice would be to make a starter. It woudl help build cell count and get the fermentation off to a much quicker and healthier start. If its not too strong you will probably be okay without one but better to do one if you can.

Back