Live and learn!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered one of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/6041755117/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... but received one of these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0ADKQD/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I didn't take it out of the box for a month after getting it and when I did I noticed that it was "a bit small and a lot underpowered" but still didn't cotton on to the fact that I had been sent the wrong bit of kit. :doh: :doh:

After waiting for nearly two hours to get 27 litres of wort to boil I had another look at my Amazon Order and noticed that the one I received was less than 50% of the heat-output of the one that I had ordered.

I immediately complained to the supplier via Amazon and have today received the definitive reply which is ...

"The product is out of warranty and therefore cannot be changed."
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Of course, it IS my fault for not checking it out when I received it so "live and learn". :thumb:

But having recognised that fact, I would happily strangle the useless ****** that sent me the wrong stuff in the first place! :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've had lower quality items send to me from Amazon before. Never a better quality item though. Strange that.

Yeah, I've had lower quality items send to me from Amazon before. Never a better quality item though. Strange that.

I once ordered in 2000 a single watch battery 20p or something, while they were still most book based retailer, had an email their system messed up still not in stock, 3 months later got 20 batteries :) lasted that watch for 12 years (watch finally broke) and still have 3 batteries left the rest I lost.

That item wasn't sold by Amazon.

Not sure what a warranty as got to do with it. They sent the wrong item. Their mistake, offer to pay postage for a new one?

Say you will leave negative review, sellers hate that.

Of course, it IS my fault for not checking it out when I received it so "live and learn". :thumb:

But having recognised that fact, I would happily strangle the useless ****** that sent me the wrong stuff in the first place! :whistle:

It's not your fault though! When ordering the item from Amazon you entered into a contract with the seller for them to supply you the item described, the fact that they haven't supplied you the item your ordered / as described means that they are in breach of contract and should therefore either supply you with the correct item or provide a full refund. The length of time doesn't really come into it. I wouldn't take it lying down personally. Did you make the purchase with a credit card? If the seller won't play ball then your credit card provider will also help you.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Out of warranty in a month? That's poor...order the size you need from the same lot..again..then return the other.

By the time I opened it up, used it and figured out exactly why it was taking so long to boil three months and nine days had passed ... :thumb:

... and it was nine days out of warranty! :oops:

My bad! :doh:

Needless to say, the supplier won't be getting my usual resounding recommendation in the Comments section! :whistle:

Name and shame the seller

I have a lot of time for Amazon and after many years of buying through them I have had very few problems and (until this one) all of them have been rapidly and happily resolved.

The problem is that in this case the Seller (Brands Online UK) apparently uses multiple names when selling through Amazon.

Also, I'm afraid that I have to accept responsibility ... :doh:

... because, had I opened up the package on the day it arrived and complained, I'm 100% sure that Amazon would have made the company accept responsibility and replace the item for free.

It also appears that selecting and purchasing a Boiler Ring is a minefield, because they seem to be particularly prone to inaccurate descriptions with regard to their output.

I've seen the same boiler ring as the one I received advertised as being from 2Kw up to 5Kw and the one I ordered as being from 7Kw to 8Kw.

As per the Post Title, "Live and Learn", and I am learning. :thumb:

Yesterday I received a small packet of magnetic stirrer bars and within an hour I had checked that there were seven bars in the packet and that every one of them worked okay! :thumb:

The Boiler Ring will be put down to experience, used until the summer and then replaced ... :thumb: :thumb:

... when SWMBO has forgotten that I needlessly squandered fifteen quid on brewing equipment that wasn't up to scratch! :whistle: :whistle:

Hi!
Consumer Rights Act 2015
The goods must be:
As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

Get back on to the supplier, quote the act and keep on at them - the squeaky hinge gets the oil!
I know it's only 15 quid, but why should the supplier get the money under false pretences?
Colin

Ditto if you bought a car with a 1600cc engine and you broke down 2 years later a d the mechanic told you it was a 1300 would you go back to the dealership and expect it to be replaced?

Hi!
I would argue that a warranty covered faulty goods. In this case, you were sent the wrong item, which should not have anything to do with warranty. There must be scores of reasons why an item is kept for three months before opening - birthday gift?
Get back on to the supplier and keep on at them - the squeaky hinge gets the oil!
Colin

Apart from the fact that the Boiler Ring has been (and is still being) well used, another problem is that they (quite rightly IMHO, knowing the number of thieving gits out there) would refuse to send a replacement before I return the original; and I can't risk A) A week or ten days without a boiler ring! and B) Not being at home to receive the replacement.

Before we depart for France I want enough beer to take with me (46 litres), shelves full for when I return (70 litres) and a batch of lager (23 litres) lagering away in the fridge whilst we are away, so I need a Boiler Ring; even a 5Kw one. :thumb:

This one will definitely go down to experience and put on the "Never again!" list; until the next time! :whistle:

Ditto if you bought a car with a 1600cc engine and you broke down 2 years later a d the mechanic told you it was a 1300 would you go back to the dealership and expect it to be replaced?

Hmmm! I get where you are coming from but in this case I didn't even unwrap it for a month!

Also, you chose a weird example because back in 1972 I bought a Black Tulip Morris Marina 1300 and was very surprised at how "nippy" it was!

About a year into ownership a lady side-swiped me at a junction and I took the car into my local garage to get the side panel dent removed and re-sprayed.

The garage asked me if I knew anyone at the factory because they discovered that:

A) It had originally been Powder Blue and had been resprayed Black Tulip at the factory.

B) It had a 1300 label on the boot but had an 1800 engine under the bonnet!

I didn't complain in that instance ... :whistle:

... but I did feel sorry for the worker down at Coventry who had got whatever he had ordered, instead of the "Special" he was expecting! :thumb:

Many thanks for all the comments and advice, but I will have to put it down to experience because:

1. I should have checked it when it arrived.

2. I should have checked it before I used it.

3. I should have checked it when I realised that it was underpowered; instead of writing a comment that it was "good value for money but underpowered". :doh:

4. I should have reported that the wrong burner had been delivered before I backed myself into the corner of "needing" it.

5. I should have reported the problem while I still had the time to agree an exchange of goods at a time when I would be at home.

Believe me, learning all of that for less than fifteen quid is a bargain piece of education that will be used for every future purchase I make via the Internet. :thumb:

Plus, look on the bright side. At the end of the day I still have a useable 2Kw burner as a "standby" for when its replacement goes belly up halfway through a boil. :thumb:

Hi!
Perhaps if we set up a Cloudfund for Dutto and everyone contributed something, he'd have 73p, two barley sugars and a button towards a bigger ring.
Now, before the suggestive comments come in, by "bigger ring" I meant a gas boiling setup. :lol:

C'mon Dutto.
Name and shame. :thumb:
You should at least be entitled to a cost difference between what you bought and what you were supplied with.

Ah, here's the rub!

What I selected was exactly the same price as what was delivered (i.e. �£16.39) ...

... plus I've seen what was delivered for sale by another company on Amazon for just under �£30! :doh:

The supplier was Brands Online (UK) Limited of Bradford and Manchester.

Personally, I won't deal with them again; despite the fact that they have a 94% Positive Feedback score on Amazon.

A genuine "Live and Learn" experience for me! :thumb:

Back