Live brewers yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam brew

Reaction score
Hi all I have been given a thermos flask with some live brewers yeast in, this came from a local brewery who are moving some 60 miles away it was left in my local for me how should I keep it feed it before I can use it how long will it keep hope some one can help with the information :cheers:

You might want to think about splitting it into maybe 5/6 lots and bring it on with some wart and a little sugar then put it in the Fridge. You then have 5 or 6 starters for 5Gallon batches.

R8...

You've got some hot yeast...treat it like you would a small child...Plenty of TLC and occasionally try to drown it in sweet sugary fluids...but seriously...

I would :-

1) nick my grandmas pressure cooker and learn how to slant very quickly...keep a good few slants on file in your special compartment of the fridge, then slant and reslant for as long as you can... :thumb:
2) read the threads on here about freezing yeast and bung enough into the freezer for at least 1 brew with glycerine and boiled water...( back stop)
3) if you have enough left over, get a brew on big style and watch it fly, taking copious notes about how it reacts...Speed of fermentation, floctuation, attentuation, esters, tastes and the like

Ive got a few yeasties in storage at the moment...Thwaites, Hopback, WLP023, Fullers, WLP001, WLP004, Abbeydale and my own special strain (Dronfield)

If you can read the yeast book by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff, it will show you have to sort yourself with yeast.

Remember we as homebrewers make the sweet sugary stuff for the yeasties to convert to beer,

Many thanks for information, I have tried to find the strain but their phone line is down there is about 1/2 pint + working like mad :cheers:

Latest posts

Back