Liz Truss has promised to announce a plan to deal with soaring energy costs within a week

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to wave energy production it was a big topic of conversation not too long ago.

1662443625697.jpeg

In any case the electricity generated from perhaps cheaper coal would still be sold to your supplier at world energy prices. So no effect on your bills and loads of dosh to be trousered by someone somewhere who definitely isn't me.
This is the crux of the matter.
No mater what government is in, none of them will include a clause in the drilling licences to sell x amount at a reasonable price to the people that actually own the gas/oil.

All this about fracking to extract more etc is of no use at all when it’s all subject to international market prices.

A bit like my phone signal, governments sell the licences for whatever G we are on, but I still can’t get a signal downstairs on 3G, even though I have a new fandango mast just along the road.

None of them give a flying fig about normal people, it’s always been like that, and it always will be.

Whatever happened to wave energy production it was a big topic of conversation not too long ago.

Not sure if the technology is quite there yet, there were plans for a big tidal power thing off the coast here years ago but it got shelved as far as I know. I think wind and solar are better economically at the moment.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember that Mrs Thatcher closed the mines as she never forgave the miners for bringing down Ted Heath's government, she was not prepared to have that happen to her government! As far as I am aware we had in the region of 300 years worth of coal left in the ground, it could not have all been uneconomic to mine, as I understand it a fair amount was high quality coal and would have fetched a good price.
A very high price was also paid and is still being paid in many old mining communities, new hospitality jobs will never compete with lost mining and associated industry jobs.
Governments could have invested in carbon capture and storage and we could have burnt coal when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, we could have been less reliant on imported gas.
Of course the broken energy market would need to have been sorted out for coal to have made any difference.
I still feel sorry for the candle stick, and stocking makers, the cotton mill workers when the mills shut down. Progress has a lot to answer for.

Anyone who thinks that fracking is an answer needs to go to a home for the ill at ease. (Not referring to you Telboy61) Doesn't just extract gas or oil but other things we definitely don't want being brought up to the surface.

My Partner is PA / EA to a big entrenepure who did a big push for solar energy and he invests in a lot of these technologies

A big thing they are trying to ramp up and roll out to businesses is ground heat atm.

She said the issue with tidal can be teh salt in the water effects on teh efficiency but I am not sure what she meant by all of that.

Solar power she says a lot of people may want it but actually will not get as good yield as they are sold because things like house facing and tree proximity. Behind my house across the road on the east side is a woods. this would block the sun rise until late morning.

Coal? Australian coal is cheaper than British coal, including the cost of shipping to UK ports .... and now we have a super trade deal negotiated by our own PM Liz Truss, wonder what it says about coal. Personally I'm wondering when Kangaroo steak lands here wink...

That’s pretty grim. I’d like to use that, do you have a source?
I did look and check the numbers when I first came across this and they seemed to run true, though this was a few weeks ago now . I do note that the 300% UK rise is now out of date, my electricity 31/12/2021 16.5p/kWh, 01/10/2022 is to be 66p/kWh, 400% rise.
This one shows a source if you open it.
1662455521563.png

She'going to just give the energy companies more of our tax money, instead of dealing with their blatant profiteering.

It has been said here they are going carry on making a mess then get voted out and by the time Labour have had a chance to start turning things round they will be telling us we made a mistake voting Labour and we should vote Tory in the election that follows.

It has been said here they are going carry on making a mess then get voted out and by the time Labour have had a chance to start turning things round they will be telling us we made a mistake voting Labour and we should vote Tory in the election that follows.

Nah too many egotistical people in parliament ( both sides) for that.

Our only way out of this is nuclear power stations...and lots of them. Then those that we buy energy off can shove it.

On past form, building, and getting a nuclear power station up and running, seems to take literally decades. I don't think that's a solution.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nuclear-plant-when-will-it-be-built-explainer
From the above link:

The progress of Hinkley Point C – which earlier this year pushed back its opening to June 2027, a decade later than planned – has not provided an encouraging blueprint.

The University of Greenwich forecasts predict it will take 15 years to build Sizewell C, or 17 years under its gloomiest forecast, and cost £43.8bn.

My Partner is PA / EA to a big entrenepure who did a big push for solar energy and he invests in a lot of these technologies
A big thing they are trying to ramp up and roll out to businesses is ground heat atm.
She said the issue with tidal can be teh salt in the water effects on teh efficiency but I am not sure what she meant by all of that.
Solar power she says a lot of people may want it but actually will not get as good yield as they are sold because things like house facing and tree proximity. Behind my house across the road on the east side is a woods. this would block the sun rise until late morning.
Everyone I know ow who uses ground source says its terrible on a domestic level.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason energy prices are going up much less in Germany than here, is not because Germany is somehow better placed in the energy market than we are; in fact they are arguably in a worse position with their reliance on Russia. It's because

a) the German govt is not going to throw its citizens under the bus, and

b) The price of energy here is tied to the price of gas, despite only a small proportion actually being generated from gas. And the reason for that is, to enable energy companies to make a very nice living indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back