Local accents.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son is moving to live on a farm near Chichester. Most of the locals have general purpose southern accents and are easily understood but some of the old farmers have a totally different accent where I often have had to pretend I didn't hear and say "pardon?" just to but time and work out what they're saying. It's rather like the situation in parts of Wales where most people speak English but the farmers speak Welsh. In many parts of Lancashire you can tell which end of the street someone was born on from their accent.

We moved from Cumbria to Aberdeenshire in 2011 & it was like moving to a foreign country "ya ken fit like". On the plus side all the locals thought a couple from Columbia had bought the village shop so they all came in to meet the foreigners. Worst part is when I go back home & come out with a bit of Aberdonian. ie. I'll just be a wee minty [I will just be a minute]

We moved from Cumbria to Aberdeenshire ......

When I first met SWMBO she had recently moved to Aberdeenshire from just south of Edinburgh. As I had lived in the area for about five years I had to translate for her for a few months; but loons, quines, fit like and bidy ins still took her by surprise!

Even after many years I still got caught out. They were repairing a bridge on the South Deeside road near where I lived. It added another five miles to my journey to work every morning so I asked the foreman how long the work was going to take.

This was in October and after a long explanation of what had to be done the only word that I had truly understood was "Christmas"! Guess what? It reopened about the 18th December! clapa

BTW

How about the Aberdonian who was killed by a bus after running into Union Street to pick up a 5p piece he had dropped.
The Procurator Fiscal decided that he had died due to "natural causes"!

Been in North Wales this week on holls and really enjoying the time here,though passing through Bala today and stopped for a bite of lunch in a lovely little Cafe.
When ordering food for the wife and four children and I had to let the wife take over as the poor girl with a heavy Welsh and adorable accent couldn't understand my Derry accent no matter how slow I spoke bit because she's from Leeds she knew I talk too fast and the accent on top is hard to follow.
Does anyone else hate to hear their own voice?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back