Local accents.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Cumberland accent, it cracks me up every time i watch this i imagine few here will have a clue what he is on about.

How broad is your accent?

I have a broad Hull accent.

Or in Hull speak --- I've gorra broad ull accent.

My accent could not be more Lancastrian if i tried and it don't half pee me off when people ask "where are you from in Yorkshire"?

I just sound very northern - born and bred in Southport to Lancastrian (rather than scouse) parents, 7 years schooling in Carlisle, 3 years in Sheffield and 20 plus in South London. Most folk have me down as a Manc.

It's a shameful admission, but I tend to adopt the accent of the people I'm talking to! aunsure....

When I'm back home in Derbyshire it's all "thee" and "thine" and "tha knows" but when I'm visiting relatives in the North West it moves to a Lancastrian accent and "tha babby" and "harping on".

I'm not alone! SWMBO went to Scotland last Saturday to see friends and relatives ... ukf

... and only last night I commented that she had re-adopted her East Lothian habit of saying "Ye ken?" :thumb:

SWMBO returns tomorrow ... aunsure....

... and I haven't managed to get half the stuff I need for brewing delivered! Bugger! aheadbutt

The guy seems like an imposter...
He is putting too many "H's" in and sounds too posh to be real hull.

Hull is .....

Arm from Hull an go down Bev road boozin wen I wanna a pint. If ah go round town instead , I av a patty butty wi scraps an a few beers to wash it down wi. Onny probs wi the pubs there are they're full of bairns ballin,playin up and wannin to bray each otha.

Born and bred in Aberdeenshire and people used to think I was English... I put that down to the 6 years living in Edinburgh then moving back north, now folks can tell I'm scottish but nothing more than that.

One of my pals confessed once that he knew when my wife was getting annoyed as her R's got longer and longer, I can't roll my R's at all.

........... I av a patty butty wi scraps an a few beers to wash it down wi.

A "butty wi scraps"? You swine! aheadbuttaheadbutt

You know I'm trying to lose weight and yet you mock me by offering the perfect supper! abigt

I've marked yo card young'un ... :laugh8: :laugh8:

...and ahm off fer annuther o that ther "SMASH'n Sitra" ter compo fer ma bein so upset like! :thumb:

Born and bred scouser but with a soft, south Liverpool accent. Lived in Sheffield, Nottingham and now Essex for last 11 years. I have oicked up a bit frpm everywhere I've lived.

Sound, Me duck, Init!

Back