Long fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I made my first batch of Elderberry in September (2018), and it's still (slowly) fermenting. Should I wait until it stops of its own accord, or put something in to stop it now? Do I use a campden tablet, or potassium sorbate? Bit new to all this...

It depends. What is the gravity? If you are happy with the alcohol content and level of sweetness, then by all means stabilise, either with a wine stabiliser like the wilko one using the instructions on the tub, which is a mixture of potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite (campden), or by adding 1 campden table and ~0.5tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.

Hi Iain, thanks for this. I just took it and it's 0.986. I don't know what it was when started, I was a bit put off by the tables in CJJB book so although had the hydrometer, haven't used it till today.

I'll get some wine stabiliser/potassium sorbate. I'm guessing I might need to sweeten it at some point.

Back