Looking for a lager kit...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad n Jo

Reaction score
...that is something like a famous one with a 'BLACK LABEL'.

I've got all I need to do kit lagers except the lager to keep the Mrs happy, so any suggestions for a light-ish lager that is not too happy would be much appreciated. I've tried the 'Simply' lager in the pouch, which came out fairly lager-ish, but a bit like a bitter - not to her liking! I'm trying to keep us both happy, as such don't want any all-grain (yet...), but don't mind trying a kit with a bit of something to add.

As such all suggestions are very welcome, and I'll raise a glass or two to all who help out a new brewer!

Thanks in advance,
Adam

If you can control the temperature of your fermentation, the Coopers European Lager comes with proper lager yeast. Ferment it at 13c until fermentation nearly complete. Raise remp to 20c for 3 days or so to do a diacetl rest, then lager (store in the cold) for around 6 weeks then bottle.

If you haven't got the means to temperature control and lager your brew, then unfortunately at best it will taste, as you say, like a bitter, a pale one at that.

Unless you actually brew a lager, you won't get actual lager.

There are no standard, off the shelf "lager" kits which are lagers.

Some of them use traditional lager malts and hops to produce the kits but they are all AFAIK formulated to brew with clean ale yeasts not lager yeasts at ale temperatures not lager temperatures and then there are the complexities of lagering the resulting beer...

So if you are not looking to go to those lengths the best you'll do is get something vaguely reminiscent of a lager style. I've had good success with both better brew options, many here swear by the coopers ones.

They're not lager though.

I'm still in the process of fermenting the Coopers European Lager, as my first ever brew.

While I am enjoying doing it, I think if it hadn't been bought for me for Xmas, I wouldn't have chosen to do it as my first kit, purely because of what is involved and the length of time required for conditioning etc. This kit does come with a lager yeast, and I have it in my conservatory at the moment, still happily fermenting at 12-13C, although it is now slowing down.

I have chosen a Woodfords Wherry to do next, which will be ready a lot quicker than the lager.

As a novice, I'm not sure if any of the other lagers would be ready in less time than the European. Just realise that this one is not a quick brew!! Can't advise on the taste etc at the moment! But can't wait to find out! :drink:

I hope this may help in some way!

Thanks for the replies everyone - there's a bit more to lager than I thought!

At least I know why my brew, albeit good, wasn't quite what I expected. So I've a bit more work than 'just' following the instructions, but that adds to the fun of doing it!

I may just stick to wine for the minute, cos I've made some that a friend says is better than some at £6 - not bad for my third ever wine kit, and fourth brew!

Thanks again!
Adam

Don't stick to wine, try some of the light and fresh premium beer kits. Muntons Midas Touch is a particular favourite and served a little colder than an ale should it would be excellent. :thumb:

calumscott said:
Unless you actually brew a lager, you won't get actual lager.

There are no standard, off the shelf "lager" kits which are lagers.

Some of them use traditional lager malts and hops to produce the kits but they are all AFAIK formulated to brew with clean ale yeasts not lager yeasts at ale temperatures not lager temperatures and then there are the complexities of lagering the resulting beer...

So if you are not looking to go to those lengths the best you'll do is get something vaguely reminiscent of a lager style. I've had good success with both better brew options, many here swear by the coopers ones.

They're not lager though.

The Coopers lager kits do suggest brewing below 19 °C vs the 21 °C+ of their ale kits.

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=36&t=49337 - Coopers European is a good one to do because it does have a lager yeast, and comes out pretty good.

And would agree on the wine, I was very sceptical before I started doing it but some of those kits are amazing, especially the whites - managed to stash some away for 6 months, are they were as good as (if not better than) any £6-£10 bottle from the supermarkets. :thumb:

Back