Looking good :-)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pith-head

Reaction score
Sorry to be a bother......again......but

I have just tasted my larger, (Brewmaker) Pilsner beer de luxe, i kegged it just over one week ago, and it now taste pretty good, in fact i can hardly believe how good it tastes really, its got a good head now too, but i think it is a we bit cloudy, will that possibly clear in another three weeks?

My larger is not chilled either, so when i chill it, that will improve the taste as well, i believe that temperature does affects the taste, so i reckon when this one is done it will be a cracker. Happy Days. :lol:

One more question though if i can, i was talking to wez and a couple of the other guys in the chat room at the weekend and someone mentioned getting either a cool-box or a Freeze box from ASDA as a mash tun, could anyone tell me which it is, a cool box or a freeze box that i need?

Thanks

yea it should clear in the next few weeks, not sure if you get chill haze with kits but if you can chill it then it should clear out fully
any coolbox will do , think a freeze box is the same thing?
mine might have come from asda its a 27ltr one so anything around that size should be fine

Sorry for the short answers - i'm in the middle of a brew :D

will it clear more in 3 weeks - YES
will it taste better colder - as a lager YES
it's a coolbox you'll need as a tun

:thumb:

i used a asda kettle for mine so you can grab one at the same time

Sorry toasted i only just spotted this one, but are you saying that you can boil enough water in a kettle to do a brew? or you used the element from the kettle to make a boiler?

He means use the element from the asda kettle and fit it to a fermenting bin (bigger the better). You can cut a 40mm diameter hole in a plastic fermenting bin and carefully remove the asda element and fit it to the bin...voila a boiler! I did this on a 33l vessel for stepping up to a metal boiler. You can use two elements to get to the boil quicker if you like. There's probably a few threads detailing how to do it and tubby_shaw has just bought a 10gallon plastic fermenter to turn into a boiler so perhaps he might take some pics of his conversion...nudge nudge.

Thanks arturobandini, but is'nt a ten gallon boiler a bit on the big side? I thought the standard beer boiler was only five gallons

Most people do 5 or 10 gallon brew lengths (wort going into the fermenter) (some do bigger). But your boiler needs to be bigger to accommodate the evaporated wort, as well as to help prevent boilover (which can be a messy problem).

For a brew length of 5 gallons, you may need 6-7 gallons pre-boil.

bolty said:
Most people do 5 or 10 gallon brew lengths (wort going into the fermenter) (some do bigger). But your boiler needs to be bigger to accommodate the evaporated wort, as well as to help prevent boilover (which can be a messy problem).

For a brew length of 5 gallons, you may need 6-7 gallons pre-boil.

So i need a ten gallon boiler to make 5 gallon of beer?

I currently do my 5-6 gallon batches in a converted 11 gallon keg. Its always good to have a bit more room than you think you will need, and I always aim to make more than 5 gallons, due to losses to trub, hops and to family (they keep demanding beer off me!)

bolty said:
I currently do my 5-6 gallon batches in a converted 11 gallon keg. Its always good to have a bit more room than you think you will need, and I always aim to make more than 5 gallons, due to losses to trub, hops and to family (they keep demanding beer off me!)

Thanks bolty, if they are wanting your beer, it must be good stuff. :)

Back