Low cost all grain hoppy IPA recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fgoulding

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an IPA recipe that is hoppy and sweet-tasting without the need to sell a kidney to buy all the hops?

I've brewed a couple of IPA's with a small number of hops and they have been disappointing. But pricing up recipes with lots of hops makes it more cost-effective just to buy commercial IPA's.

Thanks!

Some members swear by hop teas rather than dry hopping.

You can reuse the dry hop by putting another brew onto it also saves yeast. Before you think I'm just a scruffy oik who will drink anything see...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beeran...ents-of-beer-recycling-hops-in-the-brewhouse/
Northern brewer cover it and also brulosophy.

In practice I think it's a case of re fermenting the same style or brew into the used FV. Closed transfer being best.

Are you looking for an proper IPA or some dodgy American interpretation of the style designed to keep Yakima Chief in the life he'd like to be accustomed to?
Give us an example of your favourite commercial style then we'll know what you're aiming at.

Ha! I'm currently drinking a Beavertown Lupuloid and I love their Session Neck Oil. As I'm from Ireland, I tend to drink traditional IPA's from here (Hope, Bru, Kinnegar etc) and I can't stand NEIPA's.

You can reuse the dry hop by putting another brew onto it also saves yeast. Before you think I'm just a scruffy oik who will drink anything see...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beeran...ents-of-beer-recycling-hops-in-the-brewhouse/

In practice I think it's a case of re fermenting the same style or brew into the used FV. Closed transfer being best.

I like the sound of this. I've chucked tons of hop matter after a brew.....

Right. To get back to the original question, the answer's no. It's going to cost you a fortune in hops to make that kind of beer. Suggest you buy your pellets by the kilo as they're cheaper, pro rata , that way.

what cost of hops have you in mind for a 20Ltr batch then we can suggest hops to suit.
I would expect 200g of hops would get you somewhere near so @ £12 IMO is that too much as it works out at approx 30p per bottle

what cost of hops have you in mind for a 20Ltr batch then we can suggest hops to suit.
I would expect 200g of hops would get you somewhere near so @ £12 IMO is that too much as it works out at approx 30p per bottle

200 gms would be great. Neck Oil requires close to 700 gms asad.

Right. To get back to the original question, the answer's no. It's going to cost you a fortune in hops to make that kind of beer. Suggest you buy your pellets by the kilo as they're cheaper, pro rata , that way.

You're absolutely right. Buying in bulk is the way to go but I'm tight on space right now.....

so you are a serious hophead, unfortunately if that is what you want put your hand in your pocket is the only answer.
I was going to suggest using the Punkd hops from CML 225g is approx £12 but if you are looking at 700g beers its going to be hard to replicate that

so you are a serious hophead, unfortunately if that is what you want put your hand in your pocket is the only answer.
I was going to suggest using the Punkd hops from CML 225g is approx £12 but if you are looking at 700g beers its going to be hard to replicate that

It's not that I'm a serious hophead but the recipes of the beers that I like tend to have a ton of whirlpool and dry hops. But I'll try your suggestion and see how it pans out. Thanks!

I am drinking one just as I post its quite nice I used 100 g whirlpool and 100g dry hop its very much of the punk IPA style

Try a few smash beers 100 to 200 g might get u away
Or buy a few ticks in benparr raffles well worth a shot
Win a kilo for 2.50

Why do people even drink this stuff? IPA, yes. Hop juice cordial??? It's like when I was a lad, we used to go for a curry and see who could finish the hottest one.
Hmm, yes. Now we're talking.

Let's be clear. None of these American beers are IPAs or even remotely so. Or even in the style of. Why can't they come up with a name of their own?

?

What brew length? Neck Oil is fairly hoppy, but I can't fathom it needing 700g in 40 litres, never mind a 20 litre batch.

I found a recipe online and when you tot up all the hops for a 25-litre batch that was the total. Hence my post asking for info.

I actually prefer brewing English bitters but I want to try and nail a low-cost IPA because I don't like the trend of having to buy a ton of hops to replicate the commercial beers, never mind say all the equipment you need to have oxygen-free brews.

I was given an IPA recipe by the head brewer of one the leading craft brewers in the UK, the beer is widely sold in cans and uses Centennial, Mosaic and Comet hops. It's good. He simply scaled down the recipe to my brew length in beersmith. In total there are approx 11g hops per litre, which is pretty average. It's a hoppy, aromatic IPA.

I made the recipe and compared my beer with the brewery canned version. I've also had the beer on draught a few times. My beer was noticeably more hoppy, in the first few weeks at least. I was surprised by the difference, which I put down to freshness and perhaps lack of filtering. The hops for that first batch came from Maltmiller and were noticeably sticky, fresh and aromatic. I still use that recipe as a template but I scale the hops back, around 7 or 8g per litre. I rarely go over 10g per litre in any beer, and I consider the hoppy beers I do to be pretty hoppy. YMMV. I don't do hop soup. I've drunk a lot of other people's home brews and people seem to have differing success in extracting hoppiness and preserving it into the final beer. Or buy hops of varying quality I guess. Hop quality and freshness is a big factor in hoppy beers, obviously.

For a 5 gallon batch of IPA (I don't brew them often tbh) I would use approx

5kg grain - £3 to £7.50
200g hops £10/15
Yeast £3 (but I reuse yeast a lot)

So anywhere between £13 and £25. Yeast cost can be negligible, grain is cheap, I sometimes get a sack for £15, hops £5 to £7.50 per 100g pack.

It's possible to make a hoppy IPA with 100g of hops, if the focus is bitterness. It depends what you call an IPA and what you call hoppy. 200g should provide a lot if aroma, 300g if you want to push it, beyond that is vanity in my book! 🤣 And detrimental, probably. More is less.

That was really interesting!
  • Overall, spent dry hops retained 77 percent of alpha acids.
  • Overall, spent dry hops retained 51 percent of total oil

I'm with An Ankou on this one. None of these things are IPAs.
A proper IPA does not use a ton of hops, nor does it use some s***e hop that tastes of pineapples or mango or orangejuice.
If it's not Goldings or Fuggles it's not IPA. Which was brewed for sending to India in the days when these modern hops simply did not exist.

I was given an IPA recipe by the head brewer of one the leading craft brewers in the UK, the beer is widely sold in cans and uses Centennial, Mosaic and Comet hops. It's good. He simply scaled down the recipe to my brew length in beersmith. In total there are approx 11g hops per litre, which is pretty average. It's a hoppy, aromatic IPA.

Are you able to share the recipe 🤞

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back