Luckyeddie's AG#23 - Smokin'Joe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyeddie

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's been a brewless few weeks. Remember a while ago my boiler decided to throw in the towel and I ended up salvaging 10 litres of rocket fuel? Well, the very nice people who manufacture the Electrim boiler replaced it completely free of charge. Huge thanks to them and equally huge thanks to Sam at Creative Winemaking, Spondon for sorting it out.

Last week I gave it a test run with just a simple Tripel (3.5 kg of MO, 0.5 kg of Biscuit malt, 0.5 kg of Special B, 0.5 kg of oats, 1 kg of Candi sugar (syrup form), Bobek hops (25g FWH and 25g @ 30 mins), Westmalle yeast. In the fermenter, rocking and rolling - in fact, it was going like a train so I top-cropped after 48 hours. I now have enough Westmalle yeast for about 5 or 6 starters. One of them is chuckling along now and will be in play tomorrow.

More huge thanks due to our old friend Rob at The Malt Miller for being so quick - I ordered on Monday and my Weyermann's Rauchmalz and Belgian Pale Malt arrived on Wednesday. Now THAT's service. So - what to brew this week? No contest. Named after my all-time favourite boxer who died only a couple of weeks ago, I give you...

Smokin' Joe's Rauchbier:

4.0 kg Weyermann's Rauchmalz
0.5 kg Maris Otter
0.3 kg Flaked Oats
0.2 kg Chocolate Malt

Hop Schedule

25g Bobek FWH
25g Bobek @ 30 min

Yeasties

Westmalle (waste not, want not).

Should be good for about 20 litres at 1055 or so.

Brewing tomorrow if the rain passes overnight - will take piccies too if I remember.

I doubt I'll ever win any competitions - unless there was one for 'freestyle brewing'. Saying that, friends who taste my beers usually say 'WTF?' at first taste - but they always come back for more (must be the drugs I add).

In another lifetime I would have been born in Antwerp and dedicated my time to Lambic beers.

A rather uneventful brewday - done and dusted in not much more than 5 hours.

The grain...

brewday251111rauchbier034.jpg

The mash...

brewday251111rauchbier035.jpg

The yeasties...

brewday251111rauchbier037.jpg

Getting stabby with the sparge sheet...

brewday251111rauchbier038.jpg

First runnings (and first finger too - new phone

brewday251111rauchbier041.jpg

Collecting the wort (and another finger)...

brewday251111rauchbier042.jpg

First wort Bobek...

brewday251111rauchbier043.jpg

Gratuitous advertising...

brewday251111rauchbier044.jpg

Looking good...

brewday251111rauchbier045.jpg

Bacon, tomato and African birds-eye chillies - the breakfast of brewers...

brewday251111rauchbier046.jpg

Boil on...

brewday251111rauchbier047.jpg

I really ought to consider making cider...

brewday251111rauchbier049.jpg

Chillin...

brewday251111rauchbier051.jpg

Collecting...

brewday251111rauchbier052.jpg

Clag...

brewday251111rauchbier053.jpg

And we're done. It started pissing down with rain so the cleaning etc got done in a rush, but you know the drill - OG, pitch, thrash, FV, airlock, brewbelt etc.

I shall modify the label I created for my last Rauchbier (all my beers are FBB - Fat ******* Brewery)...

NewBitmapImage.jpg

Great pics, thanks.
I like your mash tun. My cool box is a little too small for a full 6%+ brew of 23liters so I'm going to go down the clear plastic box from the supermarket that have the ok for food stamp.
Wondering if I bought two, one inside the other, if the air gap would be sufficient for insulation.
Experimentation will answer that, oh such fun.

Cracking apples, brew cider and post pics :thumb:

Nothing wrong with freestyle brewing lol I do it myself that's just the hole point make what you like and if others don't sod em more for me

31bb3 said:
Nothing wrong with freestyle brewing lol I do it myself that's just the hole point make what you like and if others don't sod em more for me
:thumb:

Latest posts

Back