Making a Malty Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpitdarn

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm looking to making a very malty brew in the next couple of days, got all the ingredients so what do you think? It's an All Grain and I want it as malty as possible. I don't like beer bitter and not too bothered about hoppy tastes. Want it around 7%.

Any recommendations?

1kg Munich malt
1kg Pale base Malt
250g Melanoid malt
250g CaraRed Malt
20g Hops Fuggles
15 litres bottled Spring Water
Go for a 74 degree Cent mash temperature! Less sweet more unfermentables.
Aim for 1.070 SG - 7% ABV may need to add Golden Syrup to bring up Alcohol level.

Hi All, I'm looking to making a very malty brew in the next couple of days, got all the ingredients so what do you think? It's an All Grain and I want it as malty as possible. I don't like beer bitter and not too bothered about hoppy tastes. Want it around 7%.

Any recommendations?

1kg Munich malt
1kg Pale base Malt
250g Melanoid malt
250g CaraRed Malt
20g Hops Fuggles
15 litres bottled Spring Water
Go for a 74 degree Cent mash temperature! Less sweet more unfermentables.
Aim for 1.070 SG - 7% ABV may need to add Golden Syrup to bring up Alcohol level.

OK here are my recommendations:
Mash at 69C maximum - any higher and you will not get enough fermentables
In 10L of wort, 200g of sugar will add 1% point of ABV
Making Golden syrup from table sugar is easy - you just need some citric acid, e.g. lemon juice from the bakery section and a bit of patience. Here is one of any number of videos

My first bock was pretty tasty, it was the Greg Hughes recipe. Here is my revised recipe. Zephyr's Brew Days.

First bottle tasted great, then it went ropy due to an infection. But you'll notice that my malt bill is very similar to your own. OG of high 60s to low 70s coupled to an IBU in the low 20s gives a very malty balance.

Boiling down the first runnings is a good trick for giving more malt flavour and a huge malt aroma.

Oh, and yeah ferment at 70 max or it'll be too unfermentable. 72c is the usual max stated before your just making a pile of dextrins and very little maltose.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back