Making beer from banana?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyurmaember

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have (nearly unlimited) access of free bananas, is there any chance to make beer from bananas somehow?

Maybe you could try and find the recipe for this
IMG_20220904_131746_599.JPG

My brother is gonna bring me a few round to try, he loves it.

My brother is gonna bring me a few round to try, he loves it.
I actually really like that banana bread beer, although it's not as good as I remember it being 👨‍🦯
I think maybe the brewery changed ownership. So... You make Banana bread first, and then add it to the mash, or to the later stages of fermentation? 🤷

I've just made my second banana beer, it's still conditioning.
But the first one was well received.
Both are made a traditional bitter, such as London Pride (ish) but with 2kgs of bananas added at the end of the boil.

However, I must admit to using "dried" bananas from the local health food shop.
Not the dried/desiccated chips but actually vacuum packed shrunk bananas.

The aim was to get a flavour not a million miles from the Eagle Brewery BBB.

I have a recollection that many years ago (2014-ish?) some dude bought many kilos of Bananas for, like, pennies or something and came on the site to ask how to make beer out of them. From the said (faint) recollection, I think the consensus was that trying to make beer from them was, basically ill-founded. I can't find the thread, but doubt that the underlying facts will have changed much in the intervening period.

I've had a look for a clone recipe for Wells/Eagle BBB but all the ones I can find seem to be relying on the esters from hefeweizen yeasts for the banana flavour. I would think it's very difficult to get that clean banana flavour using actual banana, although I would be interested to learn if a good recipe could come of it. Undoubtedly Marston's who now make the banana bread beer will use a flavouring extract to get the flavour, much like Titanic do with the plum porter

I wonder if secondary conditioning on real bananas would be more suited to something like a milkshake IPA with lactose, although it's not a style I'm particularly into.

I'm thinking about to mash a couple kg of banana with some grain. The only thing worries me is the shelf life of the end product (after reading the article from courtesy of @Donegal john ).
The project is about to reduce food waste, by making free alcohol. I'm not sure it's feasible to make banana bread, or dry them.

If you lose access to bananas, you could keep up the banana flavour for free by making sure the temperature of the ferment fluctuates wildly, preferably on the warm side. Also don't pitch enough yeast, maybe half. And whisper to the fermentation vessel that alcohol duty is going up to really stress it out.

Jokes aside though, it's hard to make a beer well when you don't like the style. If you can, try enough beers in that style until you like one, it's how I got into milk stout and saison. If you just don't like any, I'd suggest not wasting your time unless you know someone who does like a banana milkshake beer who is willing to try.

I've been considering doing a stout with bananas but the length of time it'd take to condition is putting me off.
Would that be the Vocation Impy stout giving you the inspiration?
I like it, but you've gotta be in the mood for it.

Have you tried the Vocation website? Last time I looked they still had it listed.

Back