Making beer from banana?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first banana beer was:

4000g pale malt, 400g crystal malt; mashed at 65.5C for 90 minutes
Sparged at 75C and boiled for 90 minutes.
In the boil went 15g each of Fuggles and Goldings at start.
1000g (equiv.) bananas, 15g Styrian Goldings and Irish moss for the last 10 minutes.
All of the hops and bananas left in for the cooling.

The beer cleared perfectly after four weeks and received good reviews.
The bananas added a lot of body to the beer and maybe a hint of banana?
So, I have repeated the brew with double the bananas to see what happens (should be ready by 1st October).

And as I'm sure everyone on here knows; real banana flavour and banana flavouring (milkshake etc.) are poles apart.

I have a recollection that many years ago (2014-ish?) some dude bought many kilos of Bananas for, like, pennies or something and came on the site to ask how to make beer out of them.
I have a recollection from about the same time... A supermarket did a promotion on bananas (too much stock or something) and you could actually get more value back on loyalty points than the cost of the bananas.

The dude went into the supermarket, filled a trolley with the bananas, went though the checkout, collected the points, then just left the trolley full of bananas in the car park.

The story is probably apocryphal, but the timescales match the above. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll admit to really liking banana beer… although I’m probably going to recreate it with flavouring rather than actual nana. Or I might make some banana bread and chuck that in… but I’m loathed to do anything with banana brea£ other than eat it lol

I watched a video that made Banana wine after falling down a youtube black hole...the ch were working through a particular cookbook using all sorts of fresh fruit

not beer but aye oh

Well, the second banana brew came up trumps and was well received at our local group gettogether.
There was a subtle banana aroma but not so much in the taste.
What it does seem to add is a lot of body and a need for more!

I have to concur, it is not the best. You have to wonder how much of this stuff actually gets made per year. I mean, sure, people buy a bottle for a novelty but I'd be amazed if it was flying off the shelves.

Back