Making the best of Woodfordes Wherry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle

Landlord.
Reaction score
DH has made this a few times - the first time round he was very impressed, the last couple of times it was quite poor and he hasn't brewed anything since! We still have a kit in the cupboard that needs doing before it goes out of date (if it hasn't already), any tips on how to get the best out of it? Brew short? Use DME? Any other additions/changes? Other than ignoring the kit instructions, obviously ;)

as with all kits a campden tablet to the brewing water before u do anything is a must have to remove em nasty chlorines, some people go as far as to buy tesco 5l mineral water to ensure quality (can use the containers as DJs after so money well spent)

I've been disappointed with Wherry kits recently. I don't know if they have changed or I have since going BIAB but with the last kit I have I think I'll be putting it in my boiler and doing a full extract with additional hops.
You could do the same even if you can only boil a smaller amount with some hops it would improve it I think.

I've produced two equally good results from a very recent and not so recent Wherry kit.

I'd echo adding a crushed Campden tablet, or at least 2/3 of one, brew short to around 21.5 Litres to get OG 1.045 or thereabouts, whisk hard for 5 mins to aerate, pitch an 11g sachet of Nottingham strain ale yeast (eg Gervin Ale yeast or Danstar's Nottingham) instead of the poxy 6g kit sachet and, if you want to add back some aroma, maybe dry hop in a secondary vessel or DJs after 6 or 7 days primary at 20C. I used around 50g Goldings pellets for 5 days. I reckon I will reduce that to around 30g next time, just to allow the malt to come forward a little. Then 10 days warm and around 5 weeks cool before judging it. All this worked well for me and I really like it.

As above and remember to (a) rehydrate your yeast and (b) try to keep a consistent fermentation temp, 18-20degC.

jonnymorris said:
As above and remember to (a) rehydrate your yeast and (b) try to keep a consistent fermentation temp, 18-20degC.

Big +1 to rehydrating - thanks for the reminder. Follow the proper rehydration instructions for the yeast you are using (correct temperature etc).

Latest posts

Back