Malt Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borischarlton

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that some members on here mill their own grain. I am looking for a mill that would be capable of both milling a 25kg bag and a 1kg load. Is there such a thing?? I have seen this one:-

http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

But is it anygood in practice?

Many Thanks

Rob

I can recommend the The Barley Crusher. I have the one with the 15lb hopper, and there is no problem milling 200g up to 25 . . 30 Kg. . . . We used a Valley Mill at Wibblers to mill 30+ Kg of grain last year (No Longer Made, but of a similar quality to a Barley Crusher).

If you really want to go for a serious mill that will outlast you and you children then The Crankandstein is the one to go for. . . You just need to make your own hopper and mount it to a baseboard

Aleman,

Thanks for the link, I see it gives a guide to the speed of it but in your experience how long does it take to mill, say 5 kg??

Rob

Well it seem like forever when you are using the crank :lol: but attach a cordless drill and it will fly through 15Kg in around 10-15 minutes :thumb:

I was looking at buying a mill myself, a couple of months back. then looking at the price of them, I decided to have a look at the Pasta machine I have sat at the back of the kitchen cupboard that does nothing more than take up space.

Now then, I recon that if I take it apart, knurl the rollers in a lathe, then put it back together, then I will end up with a top quality very adjustable mill, will just need a hopper making, which is easy enough.

A Pasta machine will set you back about 20quid so this might be worth a look if you know someone with a lathe.

UP

seen a post on an american site about using a pasta machine but what he did with rollers was scratch them upwiht a dremmal and bash them about a bit with hammer , seemed towork for him. I am trying to make rollers out of cement set in with a bar set in side paint tins, limited success with first roller and just need to finish paint off for second one , will post a how to when I get that started.

Using a friends maltmill at the moment and it works very well. Just put cordless drill in low speed/high torque and off you go. My corded Bosch 2-26 made light work of crushing 10kg of Maris Otter. Make a hopper out of and old fermenter and a piece of wood. Would not recommend letting drill hang as in my pic incase you bend the shaft, but doubt it will. They make an adjustable maltmill and maybe worth the extra money.

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

Back