Manchester attack: 22 dead and 59 hurt in suicide bombing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't, personally, think it needs locking. It possibly does require a few people to give their heads a shake, or seek help. Or read more books instead of Facebook shares.

It is interesting that some people consider radicalisation to be a one-way street. We see and hear, in pubs, shops and, most often (for those who frequent it), on social media, radical, hateful, vindictive, generalised, factless and futile commentary.

It reaches a crescendo in the wake of awful incidents like Manchester and Paris, but it is there all of the time. It is relentlessly corrosive and bitter - and it doesn't serve us well.

By all means, be upset. By all means, be angry. Then let the anger step aside, and let rational action take the lead. Consider and implement policies and strategies to achieve a balance of immigration that meets our societies needs. By all means consider policing and intelligence strategies (and legal/judicial factors) in the attritional war against terrorism.

But quit with the "send 'em back" brigade. Stop the perpetuating of thinly-disguised right-wing propaganda, that is designed to incite the conditions that make terrorism viable as a strategy. This is also radicalisation, but I'm genuinely worried that it is becoming mainstream. PREVENT is supposed to flush out radicalisation among all sections of the population. How can it when people who reject dog-whistling feel outnumbered.

You don't have to look far to find a lot of people you wouldn't want to share a pint with. Maybe drinking at home is one way to cope. Another might be to ask your local Mosque if you could come and say hello.

Now that would be radical.

I have been asked to lock this as they put it "hateful thread" by a single member if anyone else thinks it's gone too far PM me and the mods will discuss it, locking it would be pointless as it would still be here for everyone to read so if we agree with those that complain it will be removed.

Anyone wishing to complain should PM me by 17:00 today.

remove it chippie the god squad are here they ovobiously didnt take my prior posts into consideration , my comments were aimed at the terrorists and those who show signs of being. Again there interpretion of the comments does not suit there liberal religious stance. i retire from posting has its these people who have made this country what it isnt today. The type who would vote yes for bombers to have human rights

Liz Chapman‏ @lizzychapman23 22h22 hours ago
More
This!

DAlCLhUW0AA7SU1.jpg

To be honest I respect anyone who has the courage and vindication to proclaim their faith in today's climate of suspicion and rejection....these are true believers in whatever they believe in. I have no problem with that as long as they keep it to themselves.
Hiding behind it and using it to drag others into mindless violence can only be stopped by those they seek to corrupt.
I agree..the communities know more...
I also think the time has come for the government to grow some big multi cultural balls and isolate the known radicals...no innocent or sane person will object to this.

Isn't the problem these muslims are practising Wahhabism (or something like that) like I say,each to their own,I have no problem with believers of any faith or total unbelievers of any faith, its when ideas are twisted,twisted people jump on them,these muppets want division and I'm afraid it's just the tip of the iceberg

It sounds like some are suggesting internment (and some are suggesting interment!) which is certainly one way of dealing with those who are thought to pose a threat. It happened during Op Desert Shield/Desert Storm when Iraqi civilians living in the UK were locked up in Rollestone Camp - the bar was set pretty low when deciding who need interning. There wasn't a huge fuss about it at the time but can you imagine what would happen now...?

Another point to consider is the reaction to locking up 3-6000 'innocent' people, who would presumably be mainly Muslims. Innocent in the sense that they won't have been convicted of crimes, not that they resemble driven snow, by the way. Would it simply drive more into the arms of the jihadis? It could simply create a bigger problem than it solves.

Politicians obvioisly balance the effects of an action, including the civil and social implications, which means that the 'obvious' answer isn't always the one reached, and unless we move towards a dictatorship where the leader can act with impunity, that will always be the case.

I know it sounds crass but I wonder what these terrible events are having on the election. I bet there is some one somewhere quietly going about doing polls.

The last we heard about the election was May and the Tories were getting a pasting about the dementia tax. This terrorist attack couldnt have come at a better time for them. Any thoughts of the election and Mays u-turn are now firmly out of the mind of the electorate. May just needs to be seen as a strong leader on this issue and I bet she bounces back in the polls. Would she and the rest of her crew even spin it out as long as possible to make the best political capital? Cynical I know, but politics is a cynical business

It sounds like some are suggesting internment (and some are suggesting interment!) which is certainly one way of dealing with those who are thought to pose a threat. It happened during Op Desert Shield/Desert Storm when Iraqi civilians living in the UK were locked up in Rollestone Camp - the bar was set pretty low when deciding who need interning. There wasn't a huge fuss about it at the time but can you imagine what would happen now...?

I don't think members are suggesting locking up the 3000+ people just that they should be monitored somehow.

Why not send ALL Muslims back to the region where their religion is precedent? I know it's a tiny minority who pose a threat but what's left to do? It's like being diagnosed with pre-cancerous cells - most are harmless but one or two aren't and just await the trigger. The cure? Eliminate ALL risk and remove them all.

Why not send ALL Muslims back to the region where their religion is precedent? I know it's a tiny minority who pose a threat but what's left to do? It's like being diagnosed with pre-cancerous cells - most are harmless but one or two aren't and just await the trigger. The cure? Eliminate ALL risk and remove them all.

Bit of a radical view Gunge and not balanced.
I have many good Muslim friends, same as I have many other friends, all colours and beliefs.

What would you have done the next time a Chinese man commits a murder , send them all back to china [emoji848]

Many on here are acting like terrorism is a new thing of recent decades, it's always been there under a variety of labels or masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit of a radical view Gunge and not balanced.
I have many good Muslim friends, same as I have many other friends, all colours and beliefs.

What would you have done the next time a Chinese man commits a murder , send them all back to china [emoji848]

Many on here are acting like terrorism is a new thing of recent decades, it's always been there under a variety of labels or masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with radical -- too much like fighting fire with fire? Seriously, how many avenues are left to explore and how many murders in the name of some imagined deity must be committed before the penny drops? And for the record a very good friend of mine is Muslim ( he came here from Iraq when Saddam was the boss) but he went back four years ago and we are still in touch so I really don't want to hear any of that religious bigotry nonsense pointed in my direction. But the solution is so glaringly obvious that some folk are too dazzled to see it.

Scary that you don't see the irony in this comment Gunge.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I don't think members are suggesting locking up the 3000+ people just that they should be monitored somehow.

Estimated numbers of 3000 or more under observation due to their radical views ..almost impossible to police...but not if all in one place....

I could be wrong of course (it does happen!) but I took this as a suggestion of something along the lines of internment, although my comment was aimed at wider society as well where it's a suggestion that keeps cropping up.

Estimated numbers of 3000 or more under observation due to their radical views ..almost impossible to police...but not if all in one place....

That would suggest locking them up which obviously is not going to happen, i think closely monitoring would be the answer but how it could be done is a different matter.

We have a young lad in my office who is our uni student lacky.. nice lad a bit work shy..

He is from Pakistan and is a muslim.. He is a nice lad we all get on with him and the like.. Last month his auntie was injured in a car bomb in his home. Terrorists are rife there and these things occur everyday. They face the same threat we do as do a lot of places.. They share the same contempt for these people who are "fighting a war".

His feelings on the matter are however that USA actually has a lot of accountability for these in the way they have intervened in things down the past 50 years such as arming Taliban and joining this side getting rid that that guy and they have helped destabilise the middle east.

I just do not think its a cut as dry as exile all the Muslims out (that HAS to be a joke comment surely).. 99% of them condemn what is done and live here in peace and are very decent people. The religion aspect is an excuse.. what they do is not Islam at all. What about people born here and lived here all their lives, where do you suggest they go to? How do you tell who is muslim and who isn't?

What's wrong with radical -- too much like fighting fire with fire? Seriously, how many avenues are left to explore and how many murders in the name of some imagined deity must be committed before the penny drops? And for the record a very good friend of mine is Muslim ( he came here from Iraq when Saddam was the boss) but he went back four years ago and we are still in touch so I really don't want to hear any of that religious bigotry nonsense pointed in my direction. But the solution is so glaringly obvious that some folk are too dazzled to see it.

The problem is people prefer not to acknowledge the problem because they don't have the balls to do anything meaningful about it.

I know it sounds crass but I wonder what these terrible events are having on the election. I bet there is some one somewhere quietly going about doing polls.

The last we heard about the election was May and the Tories were getting a pasting about the dementia tax. This terrorist attack couldnt have come at a better time for them. Any thoughts of the election and Mays u-turn are now firmly out of the mind of the electorate. May just needs to be seen as a strong leader on this issue and I bet she bounces back in the polls. Would she and the rest of her crew even spin it out as long as possible to make the best political capital? Cynical I know, but politics is a cynical business
This was the second thing I thought about, cynical or not it's the truth,where did the quote "a good day to bury bad news" come from again?
May was being hammered and suddenly it's all forgotten and back to square one,she is one nasty piece of work imo

sorry I think this thread as gone of topic now
its not about them poor people that lost there lifes
its seem all about them Terrorists and the government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back