Mandarina Baveria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a 100g of this to make an "orange" beer. This hop is supposed to taste like oranges and I have some Victory malt for the Orange colour so will see what turns out. Will use Golden Promise as the base, some wheat or Carapils and the victory to see what comes out. US05 as the yeast. Might be an interesting taste with orange and Buiscuit flavours but hey, I like orange biscuits!

I've been eyeing that hop for a while, will be interested to hear how your brew comes out.

I'm planning on (or rather thinking about) using this for my future American Wheat beer. I'll be interested to hear how this turns out!

Got a 100g of this to make an "orange" beer. This hop is supposed to taste like oranges and I have some Victory malt for the Orange colour so will see what turns out. Will use Golden Promise as the base, some wheat or Carapils and the victory to see what comes out. US05 as the yeast. Might be an interesting taste with orange and Buiscuit flavours but hey, I like orange biscuits!

Sounds good but would be even better if you add the juice of 6-7 satsumas near the end of the boil.This will give it a real orangy boost. May be a bit hazy but as an unfined beer this would be awesome! I have had one similar fom a local brewer and it is superb!

Sounds good but would be even better if you add the juice of 6-7 satsumas near the end of the boil.This will give it a real orangy boost. May be a bit hazy but as an unfined beer this would be awesome! I have had one similar fom a local brewer and it is superb!

Thanks, might give that a go on the second brew as I want to see how orangy this hop is first. Looking forward to trying your idea though!

I've used it and whilst not as orangey as amarillo IMO, i'd have no problems using it again.

How did it turn out using this hop? Im planning a single hop pale ale tomorrow with just this hop. Might post my own thread later regarding my possible recipe.

How did it turn out using this hop? Im planning a single hop pale ale tomorrow with just this hop. Might post my own thread later regarding my possible recipe.

So early days and not yet in the garage but here is an update. The beer isn't yest fully clear, and my beers usually get there quickly but maybe a couple of weeks in the garage will help. Taste at the moment is quite malty in the way that my attempt at a Bock was malty and that must be the Amber I used. Therefore I am not getting a clear idea on this hop as yet but this may change in a week or so as the beer matures. The hop profile at the moment is still on the highest bitterness side (for the hop rather than bitter generally) with the taste being more towards the greens/leafs rather than the fruit..I hope I am explaining this ok?, I expect it to mellow soon which will enable me to get more of the citrus flavours coming through. However, I think I will struggle to really gain a proper view of this hop with the grain profile I used so would suggest a cleaner beer such as a straight IPA might be worth trying. Let me know how you get on and I will post again in a week or so.

I brewed up a single Hop Mandarina Bavaria a couple of months ago - (called it Tangerine Skidmark)

I logged the process of the brew here if it helps: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64430

It was the all grain kit from getterbrewed and came out pretty dark and I have no idea what the grain bill was (they wouldn't tell me). I dry hopped with 50g for about 7 days if I remember rightly and there was a grassy element to the aroma so maybe dial that back if you are going to dry hop.
After 3 months in the bottle its still a nice beer, I can pick out a tangerine element but only because I know its there. If I was blind testing it I think I would be hard pushed to recognise it.

I brewed up a single Hop Mandarina Bavaria a couple of months ago - (called it Tangerine Skidmark)

I logged the process of the brew here if it helps: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64430

It was the all grain kit from getterbrewed and came out pretty dark and I have no idea what the grain bill was (they wouldn't tell me). I dry hopped with 50g for about 7 days if I remember rightly and there was a grassy element to the aroma so maybe dial that back if you are going to dry hop.
After 3 months in the bottle its still a nice beer, I can pick out a tangerine element but only because I know its there. If I was blind testing it I think I would be hard pushed to recognise it.

Thanks for that insight. As I mentioned I am getting the greens (grassy) flavours and not the citrus/orange ones. Normally with an American hop I will get the fruit very much upfront

Thanks for that insight. As I mentioned I am getting the greens (grassy) flavours and not the citrus/orange ones. Normally with an American hop I will get the fruit very much upfront
Erm....it's a German hop.

Anyhow. How did you use them in the boil? The orange flavours and aromas come from the high levels of Myrcene in these hops. Unfortunately Myrcene has a low boiling point so most of mandarina bavarias flavour will be lost, unless used in the last few minutes of the boil.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Anyhow. How did you use them in the boil? The orange flavours and aromas come from the high levels of Myrcene in these hops. Unfortunately Myrcene has a low boiling point so most of mandarina bavarias flavour will be lost, unless used in the last few minutes of the boil.

Yes I know its a German hop and the point I was making, badly, was with American hops that are supposed to be citrusy you get that straight away but with this German hop (even though it is implied to be citrusy) it has the grassiness that you would expect from the German/Czech hops more forward...does that make sense? I used Northern Brewer to bitter and this one at 15, 5 and at flameout.

Back