Mangrove Jack Simcoe Single Hop Ipa Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyVernon

Reaction score
hello

Having not done that well with my 1st 4 brews, 2. Cwtch, festival golden stag and a mangrove Jack grapefruit iPad which I over hopped.

I have had a go with a simcoe single hop ipa from mangrove jack. I extended the time in the FV and the timing of the hopping slightly couple of days on each but left the rest as is.

Left it to bottle condition for 6 weeks and now it's my best brew so far. Even in the warmer conditions, I struggled to keep the bottles as cool as previous, up to 22 from 18 degrees conditioning but was still most successful beer to date.

It passed the wife taste test too. I will definately adding to this list to brew again.

I might even share it with friends and family, then again I might just keep it.

I'm with you on the Mangrove Jack's Simcoe IPA, which I'm also drinking right now. Certainly one of the best American style IPA kits I've tried (and that includes most of them). I agree about the problems of brewing this summer, when temperatures are rarely below about 22C, but then the story is that traditionally IPAs were conditioned during the long sea journey from London to India, when 20C would have been considered on the chilly side. Did you go for the full malt option, ie. the Mangrove Jack's malt enhancer, or stick to the dextrose?

A pity that the Golden Stag didn't work well for you. I thought that was particularly good - light, floral, maybe a bit sherbetty - and in the bottle by day 10 as with most of the Festival kits. Can you remember what went wrong, or was it just not to your taste?

I'm drinking this right now after bottling it on the 13th of June, I agree it's good, personally for flavour I prefer the Young's AIPA but that's just personal choice. I've also done the MJ Grapefruit IPA which I am really disappointed with, not sure if it's something I have done but it's very bitter, like Quinine tablets if you ever used those for Malaria but I'll leave it and hope it improves. I've got the MJ APA in the FV at the moment, hoping it will be a good brew for the Mrs.

I found both the mj brews I did - the grapefruit ipa and the irish red ale to be alright but not in the 'i'll have to do that again category" I used light dme in both the brews.

hello

Having not done that well with my 1st 4 brews, 2. Cwtch, festival golden stag and a mangrove Jack grapefruit iPad which I over hopped.

I have had a go with a simcoe single hop ipa from mangrove jack. I extended the time in the FV and the timing of the hopping slightly couple of days on each but left the rest as is.

Left it to bottle condition for 6 weeks and now it's my best brew so far. Even in the warmer conditions, I struggled to keep the bottles as cool as previous, up to 22 from 18 degrees conditioning but was still most successful beer to date.

It passed the wife taste test too. I will definately adding to this list to brew again.

I might even share it with friends and family, then again I might just keep it.

To be honest I really liked the GF IPA,
It’s really close to Brew Dogs ‘Elvis Juice’
I’ve got 2 of the kits on at the moment.
I found that the longer you leave it in primary & secondary fv the better (no longer than 2 weeks in primary) I left in secondary for 3 weeks then kegged it.
Wasn’t too keen on the simco though but I suppose it’s all down to personal taste.

Latest posts

Back