Maris otter crushed grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmoart

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a 25kg of Maris Otter, was hoping for advice on a good place to buy, based in derbyshire. Also looking for a good place to purchase hops and if you know any home brewing clubs around??

Dont be afraid to look a bit further away for orders a lot of the Irish sites do reasonable postage to the mainland and with the exchange rate as it is its worth looking at..

I like worcester hop shop but find their delivery prices very steep.

I personally use geterbrewed but I find with them I can order more specific quantities of grain such as 250gr or 500 if I so need.

One thing are you planning on buying 25KG crushed grain?

Crush grain should be used within a few months ideally a few weeks. It seems a lot to get through but you might be doing a shed load of brews (literally ;))

I personally use geterbrewed but I find with them I can order more specific quantities of grain such as 250gr or 500 if I so need.

Crush grain should be used within a few months ideally a few weeks. It seems a lot to get through but you might be doing a shed load of brews (literally ;))
http://www.geterbrewed.com/maris-otter-blend-pale-ale/

I also used geterbrewed for my first AG. I notice though that it is a blend 50% MO and 50% pale malt. Is this usual when buying MO?

I've been using the Worcester hop shop. Very good prices but there is a standard delivery charge so it's only a good deal if you order quite a lot of stuff. But I managed to buy all the stuff for 5 to 6 brews for sixty something quid.

I agree it is the delivery charge which is always the killer and buying in larger quantities always mitigates that, I think If I was to buy in bulk I would need to invest in a grain mill..

As for the Blend, I didn't realise they did a 50% blend although I am not sure why I have heard it is common with MO with some maltsters. Maybe someone knows.

ive had crushed malt for up to a year with no ill effect or drop in efficacy.
if its well stored in a dry, air tight manner there dosnt seem to be any ill effect. ideally crushing your own would be good but not everyone has the means to do that. i still buy crushed 25 kg and always will to get the value.
my beer tastes perfectly fine.
oh and try "idle valley brewery" they have an online shop and sell malt as well as other brewing stuff and have sales on from time to time. a few weeks back i had a bag of pale malt 25kg for 25 notes with delivery in that price

Only one place to buy malt from guys.
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?as=hbf

Great service and products. Delivery within 24 hrs at a good price and receive an email on the morning of delivery with an 1hr time slot

When ordering you can specify what crush you want

If anyone is comfortable with a supplier and the quality then that is a good thing.. This will make me look undoubtedly tight but I haven't bought from the malt miller because I find them a bit expensive.

If anyone is comfortable with a supplier and the quality then that is a good thing.. This will make me look undoubtedly tight but I haven't bought from the malt miller because I find them a bit expensive.

Imho Big Plus points for The Malt miller

1) Crushed to order not stockpiled and shipped -> fresher and perhaps a little longer shelf life..

2) If you want a finer crush for biab, just ask ;)

3) a good selection, for example Crisps or Fawcetts MO on offer ..

4) if local as it was before the move to swindon, the crushed while u wait option suited me big time.. the malty whiff of the escaping flour during the crush was rather intoxicating ;)

I have also used the WHS for a few ag kits and can also recommend them too
i understand if u want an ag kit they dont stock, give them the grain n hop bill and they will quote u a kit price on the fly and perhaps add your recipe to the list of ag kits for sale.. (tho some of the kits have simplified grain/hop bills compared to other recipies TTL for example, the GW recipe is a bit more complex with more grains and hops than supplied by whs)

Imho Big Plus points for The Malt miller

1) Crushed to order not stockpiled and shipped -> fresher and perhaps a little longer shelf life..

2) If you want a finer crush for biab, just ask ;)

3) a good selection, for example Crisps or Fawcetts MO on offer ..

4) if local as it was before the move to swindon, the crushed while u wait option suited me big time.. the malty whiff of the escaping flour during the crush was rather intoxicating ;)

I have also used the WHS for a few ag kits and can also recommend them too
i understand if u want an ag kit they dont stock, give them the grain n hop bill and they will quote u a kit price on the fly and perhaps add your recipe to the list of ag kits for sale.. (tho some of the kits have simplified grain/hop bills compared to other recipies TTL for example, the GW recipe is a bit more complex with more grains and hops than supplied by whs)

thanks I will give them consideration.

Looking at another thread here geterbrewed (who also crush to order) who I have been using seem to not be reliable with getting orders right.

How much would a delivery be if you was ordering say 5 or 6kg of stuff? It says on teh front page 30kgs for 7.20.. does that mean 7.2 up to 30kgs?

The P&P costs for grain might be steep but if your order 7x100g of hops it works out quite reasonable - almost negating the P&P costs (another good tip from Clibit). They don't have the biggest range in the world though and it's mostly leaf rather than pellet

Back