Marrow Rum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uzzy

Reaction score
Right I have had a search and not really found out any answers so here goes.

Marrow rum juice of marrow and fruit into demi john + water it does not seem to have fermented although it seems to smell Ok not vinegary can I restart fermentation by adding sugar or yeast or both any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ta
Uzzy :?

Welcome to the forum Uzzy :drunk: :drunk:

Did you not add any yeast or sugar :wha: :wha:

All the recipes I have seen call for sugar and you will definitely need a wine yeast. :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Uzzy
Rumour has it that my father in law used to make a nice drop of marrow rum and this was his method.
One pair of tights borrowed from swmbo, two marrows and a lot of sugar. Hollow out the marrows, fill the cavity with the sugar, place one in each of the legs making/piercing a hole into the bottom of each marrow and hang them up and wait. Put a receptacle under each marrow and what you catch is the "marrow rum".
He hasn't made it for a long time. He and the family live to tell how tasty it was. Apparently it ferments naturally so no need to add yeast.
Cheers!
Bowl sprayer

It sounds like its relying on a wild yeast, I would be tempted to get a sachet of wine yeast for it.

This sounds remarkably like a recipie I headed from my uncle. I might have to give it a go :)

Thanks for all your replies but the question still is can I restart fermentation and if so how ??

Sorry Uzzy, my mistake for not reading your post properly.
If warming and a stir have not got it going and you are fermenting in the same way you would do with a beer I am sure you can re-pitch but if you do so make sure you get the yeast properly hydrated and active before adding it.
My lhbs advice is to add the yeast to a luke warm sugary solution and wait until you see signs of active fermentation before adding. If you just add the yeast to the part fermented wort you run the risk of killing the yeast as it re-hydrates in an alcoholic solution. Apparently it doesn't like that and most of it will die.
I hope that helps
Bowl sprayer

Many thanks Bowl Sprayer I shall give it a try and see what happens :thumb:

Latest posts

Back