Marzen Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm about to brew a Marzen and lager it till christmas/new year (yes yes i know its meant to be brewed in March for Oktoberfest).

I have 50g of each Saaz, Hallertau Blanc and Tettenanger.

I know it is meant to be around 20IBUs, and just an early boil addition, but I have an overwhelming desire to throw most of them in at 25 and 0 mins.

Thoughts on a hop schedule?

Try it and report back, I can't see it being too disastrous. All going in so late, I don't think a schedule is that critical. However, I'm not sure how the hallertau blanc would sit in Marzen, a bit too new world. I think it's one of those where if you use it, you need to go big in a less malty wort and make an IPL.

Personally, if I wanted to add some hop flavour and aroma to a marzen, I'd still want some bittering addition for shelflife stability, foam and head retention. And would opt for first wort hopping and one very late or flame out addition. Probably a 50:50 mix of the saaz and tettenanger in both additions, to hit the target ibus. Then maybe a dry hop if there's any left.

Try it and report back, I can't see it being too disastrous. All going in so late, I don't think a schedule is that critical. However, I'm not sure how the hallertau blanc would sit in Marzen, a bit too new world. I think it's one of those where if you use it, you need to go big in a less malty wort and make an IPL.

Personally, if I wanted to add some hop flavour and aroma to a marzen, I'd still want some bittering addition for shelflife stability, foam and head retention. And would opt for first wort hopping and one very late or flame out addition. Probably a 50:50 mix of the saaz and tettenanger in both additions, to hit the target ibus. Then maybe a dry hop if there's any left.
Cheers, that's kinda of what I was thinking. Not sure what made me get hallertau blanc, maybe an error at the time now you've drawn my attention to it.

I'm thinking bitter with a FWH of tettnanger, then the rest of that plus the Saaz split at 20 mins and flame out. Maybe leaning a little more towards FO.

What do you think?

Latest posts

Back