Mash Stirring Arm

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to fabricate an automatic mash stirring arm yet?

is there a particular design to go for that mixes the grain well?

what sort of motor is best for the job?

would this motor be too strong to fix to the lid of a thermo box? ie would it just rip the lid to bits?

Whats wrong with a bit of elbow grease you lazy fecker?

I dunno, all this shiny has gone to your head. :lol:

Whats wrong with a bit of elbow grease you lazy fecker?

:rofl:

Has anyone managed to fabricate an automatic mash stirring arm yet?

A few hardcore folk I know have attached a motor to the MT lids with stirring paddles. To me, 100ltr mashes don't really require it...but it's up to you.
If my mash tun were lower to the ground, I'd underlet the mash and use a plaster padlle nice slow to mix the grain.

Glad to see your only half-lazy if you got the oportunity V1...

:nono: ...I'm not lazy :lol:

I like to tip and stir ;) ...brewdays wouldn't be the same without a white floured face, coughing from flour inhilation, and not to mention having to dust the kitchen when finished :lol:

Vossy1 said:

:nono: ...I'm not lazy :lol:

I like to tip and stir ;) ...brewdays wouldn't be the same without a white floured face, coughing from flour inhilation, and not to mention having to dust the kitchen when finished :lol:

Pah! Kitchens are for amateur's. Real brewers have a brewery. Where we can hang out all white faced like. :lol: Kitchen? :nono:

If you want to be really fancy then a homemade Steeles masher can be made which is an Archimedes screw inside a tube. One end fits inside the grist case and the other hangs over the tun. just a short way along the tube from the grist case you inject your mash liquor the turning of the scew mixes the mash liquor with the grist and you end with perfectly mixed mash.

A simpler alternative is to have the grist case higher than the mash tun and a piece of 4" soil pipe attached to it leading to the Mash tun at a 45 degree angle. The grist falls into the pipe at a controlled rate. it is helped along the pipe by the mash liquor that is injected in toward the top of the pipe.

Both of these alternatives mix the grist without knocking the air out of the grain, this helps to keep the mash bed floating making a stuck mash less likely. Using a 'power' mixer is likely to knock air out of the grain and also to expose a lot of the mash to the air with the possible problems associated with the oxidation of lipids

I love the idea of under letting . . . and its going to be implemented in the next incarnation of the Effin Brewery seems to me to be the ideal way of mixing the mas with minimal stirring.

Back