Maturing cider questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylanc1975

Regular.
Reaction score
OK, before I take the plunge and go for 5 gallons of cider instead of just the one, once the primary fermentation is done and you move it off the yeast cake (@ one month?), it then goes into a new sterile FV and left for as many months as you can stand before priming, then bottling.

Q1: does that second stage have to be in the warm or is it OK in the garage?
Q2: do you need to prime the bottles? Are there any hardy yeast left to provide the CO2 kick? I'm not going for a sparkling cider, flat is perfect with me
Q3: if there is yeast, I assume the bottles will need 2 weeks in the warm to condition? After that, cold conditions before drinking if you want to serve a clear drink?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm a bit sad and need to know every stage before I start!

Cheers for all your help and answers to all my questions :thumb:

the key point you make is you want still cider, so in answer to your questions...
yes take it off the yeast and store in a fresh FV, age for another month, (longer if you can hold on)
if you want dry still cider you do not need to prime with any sugar just bottle it.

no need for any warm conditions, the warm is only if your after fizzy cider and have primed with sugar.

Cheers Scott :thumb:

Does the maturing in the second FV need to be at room temp?

You are right, I like my cloudy still ciders, as close to the proper scrumpy as I can get :cheers:

The garage if fine for maturation but I believe that malic to lactose fermentation happen quicker at 20C. I will try and find the thread when I have my computer.

Does the maturing period have to be under air lock? I know that co2 is produced during maturing.

store it in any place where the temp is coolish, but more important i think is that the temp is fairly constant, so a large garage should be ok but a small shed in the sun isnt.

Cheers peeps! Large garage is what we've got, so looks like I'm on for 5 gallons of cider complete with malolactic fermentation (fingers crossed!)

I would probably go for a slow cool maturation, my MLF took place in temps probably 5-10c and lower. I have got a batch going at the moment so probably 20c.

alanywiseman said:
The garage if fine for maturation but I believe that malic to lactose fermentation happen quicker at 20C. I will try and find the thread when I have my computer.

Does the maturing period have to be under air lock? I know that co2 is produced during maturing.

It will be quicker under higher temp but i don't know what effect it has on temp as other flavour compounds are produced as well as lactic so temp may effect this.

As for keeping it under airlock Yes :thumb:

Latest posts

Back