Mentoring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
Following on from a few posts on a recent thread would it be worth compiling a list of AG brewers who a happy for new brewers to sit in on brewdays to help them learn our fine dark art. A lot of new brewers seem to have a lot of basic questions that would be answered better by just watching. I have done this in the past and would be happy to do it again.

I would be happy to do this. I know im only on AG#12 but I have a basic set up more aligned to what a new brewer would be using themselves. So yes count me in.

I'd be interested, I have been happy to help people begin homebrewing in the past but am also facinated by other brewers' methods and love watching brewdays.

by way of digression, at work we did a study on business analysis and documentation, I saw an example based on a surgeon describing a heart transplant process - when he described it verbally it seemed simple with just a few basic steps (connect bypass, remove old heart, insert new heart and connect). When he was asked to write down the process, it turned out there were close to a hundred steps that were added. Finally somebody watched him perform a transplant a documented every move, there were more than a thousand steps.

In the same way, in 10 minutes a brewer would describe soaking grains, boiling wort with hops and fermenting. Brewday documentation on this site describes a dozen or so more steps (in general). Watching a brewday exposes all of the steps that are assumed or taken for granted, many of these steps are essential and not always well understood.

sorry to use a lot of airtime there, but I think this is really important

Just like to add if any one is intrested in attending one of my brewdays just PM me.

Me too, anyone in the Leeds/Selby area is more than welcome at mine :)

Back