Methods of crushing grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Now personally this is for winemaking but as it is about grains I thought this would be the best place.

After toiling today with crushing my wheat for my wine I need an easier way of doing it. I started off with small batches in plastic bags and a hammer and yes it worked but you were talking about 10 min per batch with 10+ batches, so whilst my granddad did that I stuck some in a blender and "chopped" it and that turned out not too bad either but I dont think it was the best.

Does anyone buy whole barley or wheat and if so how do you crush/crack it ready for use.
Moley you have mentioned using a meat grinder after looking around I have found these but do they have the right "plate" at the other end? This one is 6mm holes >clicky< as I have seen different plates advertised around?

Whats your method?

Many thanks

HLA91

I should probably clarify here that HLA91 is referring to whole, unmalted grain, which is occasionally called for in winemaking recipes where it is likely to be soaked overnight and then smashed to bits.

Harry, that is exactly the sort of mincer I use, makes might include Spong and Tala, but mine came from a charity shop for a couple of quidses. I've also started off a wheat & raisin, and it took me around 10 minutes yesterday evening to mince 500g of pre-soaked wheat plus 1kg of raisins. Exit plate has around 6mm holes.

Most of the AG brewers on here are going to buy their grains already crushed, but some others will crush their own, dry, using a grain mill.

Ah yes thanks for clarifying that Moley, I should have explained a bit more. The 6mm plate from the picture looks rather large that's why I wanted to check it out. Do you mean you put your raisins through it at the same time so the grain gets squished a bit more?
I will possibly be going to Cardiff on the weekend so I will keep an eye out in the charity shops for one. All the ones in town know I am looking for a grinder and DJ's but no luck yet.

it took me around 10 minutes yesterday evening to mince 500g of pre-soaked wheat I have definitely got to get one then.

HLA91 said:
The 6mm plate from the picture looks rather large that's why I wanted to check it out.
Ok, my mincer is probably from the 1960s so it has quarter inch diameter holes. The other outlet plate I've got has approx. 8mm x 14mm kidney-shaped holes, which I CBA to work back into Imperial right now, and I've only got a Metric vernier caliper.

HLA91 said:
Do you mean you put your raisins through it at the same time so the grain gets squished a bit more?
No, I did the wheat first and then the raisins, and that 10 mins was for both.

A bit cross with myself because I meant to use brown sugar but forgot and added white, and I went for an OG of 1.140

Well according to the product info that one has 1/4 inch or 6mm holes so that sounds on par with yours. I just wanted to double check as I would have thought some of the grain would have made it through the holes uncrushed but remembering how magnetic to each other wheat is when wet and also the fact that soaking them will soften I can see how it works out.

I have just been reminded that my granddad used to have one of these kind of things, so fingers crossed its still there and we haven't disposed of it when emptying the place.

I used 1633grams of sugar inc raisins, will take a reading tomorrow but fermcalc gives that to be 1.131, so slightly less than yours Moley but seen as it is my first one I will just be pleased if it turns out ok. :cheers:

Back