Milestone Black Pearl

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcain

Reaction score
Brew day today! I've started a Milestone Black Pearl as per instructions however my OG was only 1030 (with 40 pints). I therefore added 200g of Muscovado sugar which has increased OG to 1038, still probably a bit lower than it should be. I gave it a good mix so I'm sure that was the correct reading. An interesting thing is that there is no indication on the packaging what the OG should be.Anyone had any similar experiences/remedies/solutions?

That does seem pretty low. Take it you rinsed all the malt out of the cans with hot water? Have you checked your hydrometer, should read 1.000 in tap water?

The estimated gravity on some kits does sometimes seem a bit optimistic but you have ~3kg of malt extract in a 5 gallon brew which should give an OG of around 1.040 without adding any extra sugar. Something's not right.

Yes, tins were rinsed out and the hydrometer works fine. I've been brewing kits for a while now and never had to add sugar before. Maybe it will just turn out a bit more powerful. Fingers crossed. As it happens, I've just finished brewing a Coopers Real Ale and it was right on the money. OG1038, FG 1006 giving ABV 4.2% Tasted great out of the FV. Now conditioning.

After a week the gravity is 1008 but it looks like it's still going (very slowly). So it will probably end up about 4% which is fine. The sample I took to test for gravity also tasted pretty good already - very liquorishy. All not lost.

I think the original problem was that I didn't stir the wort enough and so my sample was taken from the top which was weaker than the rest. In any case it has turned out really well. The FG was 1008 so I reckon it is quite a bit stronger than 4%, at least 5% with the extra sugar. The taste is fantastic! lots of liquorice and bitter dark chocolate.

Latest posts

Back