Milestone Dark galleon.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another week has pasted and the flavour is really nice after 4 weeks, have got 5 pints in bottles for long maturing
to see if flavour continues to improve. RESULT!!!

well cracked one open with my friend yesterday friday 31 jan
nice dark colour good taste and clear
have been drinking st peters ruby which is sweeter and lighter in colour so this is diferant for the old taste buds but still a nice beer
darker bitter taste
only bottled in beginning Jan so will improve with age

Made this up as per instructions and was impressed by the darkness of the wort. After a couple of weeks fermenting I left it for another week in secondary and then bottled it at the weekend. Sitting under my stairs at the moment to carbonate and will move to the garage at the weekend. When bottling was surprised that it had lost its extreme darkness (I thought it would turn out like a stout) and it is in fact a nice dark dark brown/reddish colour. Tastes nice at the moment and had quite a bit of fiz whilst bottling...so looking forward to sampling this one sometime in the next month or so.

This is my first ever brew. Started on 11.11 SG 1040. Got down to FG of 1011 by 23.11 so batch primed and into the PB. 12 days in the warm then into the shed. Have been having the odd pint now and again but it just didn't taste right, HB twang!. Pleased to report tho that it has gradually improved no end and now it is delicious. So pleased I waited until it reached its best.

This was my first brew just bottled it this week,looks a nice ruby colour from its original very dark colour,had a little taste and impressed with the results,will leave it for a month should be interesting.Just starting a second brew now i have the bug a Festival Landlord bitter.

Had a sneaky bottle of this last night even though its only been in the garage for less than a week, following a week in the warm after bottling. Dark beer with not much carbonation (as you would expect at this stage) and although I was expecting a taste somewhere between a porter/stout and an Old English the actual flavour is quite unique for me. Full of raisin fruit flavour would be my over riding impression with some bitterness like a stout or an OEB, but definitely rasins. Very nice and can't wait until its conditioned better to see how this develops.

Tried this in the pub over Xmas so bought a kit and started last Wednesday. Within 24hrs the fermentation was probably the best that I have seen from any of the 5 kits i've done so far :thumb:
5 days later the bubbling in the airlock has slowed down somewhat, perhaps due to temperature of where the brewing is taking place?

Will give it plenty of time to fully ferment out and will look at bottling a week on Sat (17 days after started) providing the hydrometer readings measure up.

High hopes for this one :cheers:

My first brew tastes like Newcastle brown!!!! its a very dark but clear ruby in colour good head and tastes ok. been in the bottle from feb 14.give a few away to friends and they want more,can feel a cheap ale deal coming!!!!

securedownload.jpg

Bought this one in June, started on 25th, bottled on 15th July, started drinking 2 weeks later, had 2 bottles, bought another one. Ales this dark are not normally my taste but this beats everything else I've tried by a country mile including any pub/club beer. If I had to drink this for the rest of my life I'd be very happy. It has a perfect head which lasts all the way down and good carbonation.
A word of warning though. I've just finished brewing my second one. I brewed both lots in 5 gallon fermenters and both brews lifted the lid up about 3 inches 4 or 5 times and splattered over the kitchen wall, so if you brew this I recommend you use a bigger fermenting vessel. :drink:

My local HBS don't stock this. (Must have a wordwith them) so Wilkinsons seems to be the only place I can get it at the moment and at that price you can't go wrong

Currently on offer in Wilkinsons for £10. May come up as £16.50 at the till so get them to check the ticket price
My local HBS don't stock this.(Must have a word with them) so Wilkinsons seems to be the only place and at that price why go anywhere else.

The Milestone kits had gone from the Manchester store today and there is no mention of them on the Website. I think they were a guest beer and have now presumably been cleared.

The Milestone kits had gone from the Manchester store today and there is no mention of them on the Website. I think they were a guest beer and have now presumably been cleared.

I agree as it was listed as Guest Beer on the receipt, though my local Wilko always seems to have them in stock. Perhaps they were clearing an end of line

Ok.I've hit 1009 after ten days so have commenced cooling. Normally I'd fine for two days and batch prime before bottling. As I've cooled the wort and stopped fermentation, is there any reason why I can't add priming sugar with the finings and reduce the need to stir after fining?

I've just finished a batch of this. Bottled the lot and after 2 weeks right through to a 3 month old bottle they all tasted similar to Hobgoblin. I will definitely be brewing this again!

Hello all !!
I'm new to the beer making home brew game I've just started a dark galleon on Saturday morning 6/9/12 , I never tested with hydro meter and a haven't used a air lock , I don't want to keep opening fermenter can anyone give me some advise

Latest posts

Back