Milestone Green Man

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this last night. No changes just the straight kit. Pitched at 23 degrees and the OG was 1042. Taste before yeast add was light malty and sweet, although not as sweet as most I have brewed lately, with a strange slightly cabbage/Brussels after taste although it did smell a bit citrusy too. Very light orange in colour so similar to some of the lagers when I have added medium spray malt to them.

My last too Brewmaker Best of British kits got stuck at 1020 when under the stairs so I have moved this one to the dinning room just in case I have a temperature issue.

fancied trying this one ordered from wilkos, sadly had to wait 4 days for it to arrive, never done a milestone before, boxed very similar to woodfordes, think they are both made by muntons anyway.

opened the 2 can kit up lovely smell of caramel was going to add some extras but decided to keep it to original recipe. I did brew it slightly short rather than 22.5 litres brewed to 21 gave a gravity of 1045 which should work out about 4.5 % I hope.

my fv was empty for a week - are we meant to feel guilty when nothings brewing

keg 1 - coopers stout - delicious creamy about 3 weeks old never going to last
keg 2 - wherry just dregs left bit disappointed with this but my fault put too much sugar in secondary
bottled coopers oz lager - wasn't keen crystal clear tasted cidery, but again only 4 weeks old
r.i.p. woodfordes nelson reveng - delightfull went far too quickly

I have had thus bottled for a few days in the house and tried one out. Quite good head considering its age and whilst it does have a homebrew twang at this stage, I can feel the body developing along with more taste. Not bad at present so I suspect it will be quite good in six weeks...if it gets that far!

well mines been in fv for 5 days now, fermenting has slowed down done a quick gravity check - current at 1.012 smells is amazing the fv is at around 18-20 degress looking forward to sampling this bad boy

After a week or so in the garage and this beer is lovely. Pale golden in colour with a lovely sweetness as you start to sup, followed by the taste of peach (to me) or maybe dry orange..if that makes any sense at all. This is one of my favourite beers I have made. A real summer treat, or an after dinner tipple. Wish I could afford more of these kits - better than most pub beers by miles!

Mine has been 3 weeks in the barrel (one in the warm and two in the garage) and still has the homebrew-ish taste that Lesinge reported he'd got after a couple of days. Has been pretty warm here though - could that be the issue? We don't normally do warm in Scotland.

Drinking : Woodforde's Sundew
Conditioning : Evil Dog DIPA
Conditioning : Milestone's Green Man
FV : Brooklyn Everyday IPA
Next Up : Coopers IPA

hmmmm, intresting point about 'homebrew' taste. My first attempt at green man is one week in primary (@18c) down to 1012 but there is still a lot of 'homebrew' sweetness. I nearly always ditch the kit yeast in favour of safale 05, which always seems to ferment out that sweetness, but didnt this time.
I will give another few days then add a ton of Hull Melon pellets. Hopefully I can condition out the sweetness. Would be good to hear from others how much conditioning it takes to get it up to a good quality.

I did a barrel of this back in April for family do in June. The usual drinkers weren't there this time so I had over 30 pints left. I left it at the in-laws as they have a cellar, which keeps a much more stable temperature than my garage, and it finally came home last week. it's still a bit jet lagged - well, shaken, not stirred - so it will take another week or so to clear fully (just in one of the budget barrels), but it's kept pretty well. I'm not sure about 'homebrew' taste; I don't find it overly sweet - I've certainly had worse at the pub and at beer festivals, but it has less body to it than something like Sundew or Wherry. I do have another kit - they were around £15 earlier this year, but I'll try it bottled next time.

I've just got one of these kits from Wilkos £8.25 reduced anybody got any tips or just follow instructions

£8.25 :) And I thought I did well to get them at £15! i'm going to try making a hop tea to add to mine, as I have hops growing that will be ready soon. I think it's quite a well balanced brew, so I'll keep to the rest of the instructions.

Mine has been 3 weeks in the barrel (one in the warm and two in the garage) and still has the homebrew-ish taste that Lesinge reported he'd got after a couple of days. Has been pretty warm here though - could that be the issue? We don't normally do warm in Scotland.

Drinking : Woodforde's Sundew
Conditioning : Evil Dog DIPA
Conditioning : Milestone's Green Man
FV : Brooklyn Everyday IPA
Next Up : Coopers IPA

:thumb:where are you Del
I'm in Bannockburn
Cheers

I'm in a dead-end village called Stonehouse - about 20 miles south of Glasgow. My wife bought me a starter kit for my birthday and I've done a few brews since - nothing too startling - but it keeps me away from my mother-in-law.

What's hop tea ?? New to brewing so any advise is welcome
Assuming I've understood things correctly it's what it sounds like - hops in boiling water to add hop flavour to the brew. Hops add bitterness when added to the wort while it's boiling, which is not as easy with a kit, and it's more the hop flavour I want to try for. I've not done this before, but have seen it recommended as one way to add something different to a kit.

Hunting around I found this video - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4QyrJ1E8VI[/ame] (from around 5:30 onwards) - though I'm sure there are others.

I've had this brew in first fermentation for 10 days and I haven't got a air lock cracked lid no gas came out so does this mean fermentation has stopped? Any ideas ? It's been in spare room around 18-19 degrees

I have had this in the. FV for about two weeks and as usual with Muntons yeast it is struggling to get below 1016 at the moment. I will put a blanket around it and give it a gentle stir. Last night added 40g of Amarillo hop pellets ...wow what a lovely smelling hop this is. Just pitched them in rather than using a bag etc and will sieve them when racking. Hopefully these will make a nice beer even nicer.

Probably the worst beer I've ever made. Doesn't retain head and has got that brussel/cabbage afer taste. I've tried a few milestone kits and must say they've all been mediocre... maybe its just me.

After a week or so with the Amarillo hops I siphoned this off over the weekend and bottled last night. Taste at the moment is nice and fruity although very cloudy..interesting how it turns out.

Back