Milestones kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpton

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone tried any ofthe milestones kits?

Thoughts always appreciated :)

:cheers:

I did them when I was brewing kits and always liked them, especially the christmas specials. I always felt they cleared quicker than the other 2 can kits as well.

I've done the Olde Home Wrecker and Lion's Pride, liked them both. The Home Wrecker is a nice winter pint, think i prefered the Lion's Pride. Got 12 bottles of the lions pride stashed away for xmas i brewed that with some extra spraymalt and brown demerara sugar it worked out about 5.3%, will be def doing that one again :thumb: :drunk:

I've brewed the dasher the flasher kit and the raspberry beer twice. all 3 have been superb, the raspberry beer is delicious. I didnt think it would be up to much as you just add a sachet of flavouring to the beer after about 10 days of fermentation but it keeps its flavour well and doesnt taste to acidic or tangy, just perfect. if you planning on the dasher the flasher then brew it short to give it a bit more body, maybe a max of 18 pints

Excellent !

I am really tempted on one of the Dasher kits!

sounds interesting!

got the black pearl conditioning at the minute if I'm honest it's a little disappointing but that's proberbly down to me more than the kit. want to do the raspberry wheat beer next

I've done the Raspberry Wheat kit. The raspberry flavor came from a tiny packet of flavoring added to the keg.

It was actually quite nice. A bit too raspberry flavored for me, but everyone else loved it and asked me to brew more.

I've just put on the raspberry wheat beer kit today. This is only my 2nd brew and maybe it is something that happens with all kits but the instructions on the side of the box where different to the instruction sheet inside the box. For example on the side of the box it says use 3.5l of boiling water to dissolve the 2 cans of extract and then fill up to 19l with cold water. The sheet inside doesnt mention using any boiling water and says to fill up to 22.5l. I ended up doing a bit of both, 3.5l of boiling water and topped up to 22.5l, mainly to get the temp. down before pitching the yeast. Hopefully it'll turn out fine.

Also I assumed that a wheat beer would be a lighter colour like a lager, but the stuff in the cans was jet black.

funny i just started a raspberry the other day myself and I noticed the same thing with the instructions.
The sheet inside the box are generic "how to brew a kit instructions" but the side of the box gives the specifics for that kit. I just caught it in time.
That said your raspberry will be a little weaker than mine but i'm sure it'll still be grand - you'll hardly ruin it with a wee bit of extra water!

I was also surprised by the dark colour and the tiny pishy wee sachet of flavouring, but i read many good reports about this kit before purchasing so I have faith. Fingers crossed I'll be sucking one down for breakfast on christmas day!

I've also noticed this with some of the coopers stuff - if you look at the recipes on the website sometimes they conflict with the kit instructions. Anyway a few searches on here usually straightens things out!

philip5660 said:
and the tiny pishy wee sachet of flavouring,

It may be a tiny packet, but it sure is concentrated. I got a tiny bit on my finger and tasted it... the only way to describe the taste is that it had that same effect of a really high ABV brew that doesn't mask the alcohol flavor... it was warm as all hell. I don't rec tasting it :sick:

The beer, on the other hand, was lovely :)

I'll wait until the beer is ready before I do any tasting!
Amazing though that such a small amount can flavour 19 litres of beer!

StubbsPKS said:
philip5660 said:
and the tiny pishy wee sachet of flavouring,

It may be a tiny packet, but it sure is concentrated. I got a tiny bit on my finger and tasted it... the only way to describe the taste is that it had that same effect of a really high ABV brew that doesn't mask the alcohol flavor... it was warm as all hell. I don't rec tasting it :sick:

The beer, on the other hand, was lovely :)

Any idea what you FG was? mine has been sitting at about 1021 for a few days now - I'm beginning to worry it has stuck

philip5660 said:
StubbsPKS said:
philip5660 said:
Any idea what you FG was? mine has been sitting at about 1021 for a few days now - I'm beginning to worry it has stuck

Yeah I'm the same actually. I added a bit of extra honey to get a SG of 1.050 to get a little more kick but Murphys law has left mine sitting for 4 days at 1.020. Tried transferring to secondary and giving a stir but seems it was not meant to be a stronger beer :wha:

Guess I'll give it a couple more days then just bottle it

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find my beer book for the past couple of weeks now, so I can't tell you exactly what my FG was, but I'm pretty sure it finished around 1010 or so. Sounds like yours might be stuck...

Funny thing is I had a bad feeling about this -the yeast they supplied was muntons. I've done two muntons kits that both stuck at 1020 and the only thing that could get them going again was dry beer enzyme.

I've just given it a gentle stir and I'll check it again tomorrow to see if there is any movement.

Checked the box and they say it should finish under 1012.

If I have to resort to pitching a fresh yeast is S-04 acceptable?

Back